VIP 211 vs. 811 and OTA reception

Dennishp

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
Are there any known issues with the Vip 211 having difficulty scanning VHF channels compared to UHF OTA channels?

I just swapped out two 811's that could receive all my locals including some pretty weak signal channels (63-65). Of the "big four" NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, CBS was the weakest with a sig str of between 69-75.

After installing teh two Vip 211 and doing a signal scan...it could scan in every channel except CBS (Channel 11.1) the only VHF station.

I called Dish and asked what the problem may be...and they said it could be the MPEG 4 of the Vop vs the MPEG2 of the old 811's....meaning the 811's didn't need the higher sig str to pick up the channels.

I told them that doesn't make sense as the VIP 211's picked up two stations that had weaker signal that CBS did (those two stations and UHF). Strengths of ABC, NBC and Fox are all high 80's to low 90's....and are located as far away as the CBS station in the same direction.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I 'm not sure a larger antenna would solve the problem...plus I have the Terk HDTVo mounted on the dish mast and it keeps things simple. If I buiy a big antenna..then I have to do a mast and anchors to the house, etc.....

Any advice would be welcome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)