VIP 222 EHD

Dish has always said that they will make the 222 EHD recordable, just like the 211, but they have also consistently said that the 211's would be first. Now, the question is WHEN for the 222's. Who knows. I'm confident that it will be some time in 2009. Take your pick in which quarter.

Thanks for your help! I have a 222 & 211. I have the 211 hooked up to a dvd with hard drive. To move them involves allot of moving cable, with the second tv.
I got an email from E to upgrade to a dvr for $25.00 or less. Right $25.00 for the 211. $100.00 for the 222. That is why I was wondering if it was worth waiting?
Thanks again

My question is if/when they do add EHD functionality to the 222 will they charge a monthly DVR fee?

probably not just another one time 39.99 fee is my guess as 211 ehd didnt fall under previous ehd support(622 722)

That would be nice. Adding EHD to a 222k would essentially make it a ViP622 wouldn't it? I wonder why Dish would rather have us do that and charge $40 then have us get a 622 and charge $6 DVR Fee monthly for the rest of your contract?

That would be nice. Adding EHD to a 222k would essentially make it a ViP622 wouldn't it? I wonder why Dish would rather have us do that and charge $40 then have us get a 622 and charge $6 DVR Fee monthly for the rest of your contract?

To be competitive. Also, the EHD units will most likley almost NEVER (or at lease very many years) have to RMA'd. Right now, Dish spends a lot of $$$ replacing (often at no cost to the subscriber) DVR's mostly because the HDD has failed and the box is otherwise working perfectly (well, for Dish, that is). In fact they have huge plants that do nothing by RMA work and it costs big $$$. Now imagine a box that has no moving parts, will likely last the lifetime of the subscriber--or many years--and when the attached HDD fails, it's the customer's problem to go out and buy thier own replacement EHD, not Dish's.

To be competitive. Also, the EHD units will most likley almost NEVER (or at lease very many years) have to RMA'd. Right now, Dish spends a lot of $$$ replacing (often at no cost to the subscriber) DVR's mostly because the HDD has failed and the box is otherwise working perfectly (well, for Dish, that is). In fact they have huge plants that do nothing by RMA work and it costs big $$$. Now imagine a box that has no moving parts, will likely last the lifetime of the subscriber--or many years--and when the attached HDD fails, it's the customer's problem to go out and buy thier own replacement EHD, not Dish's.

Great points. I hope you're right.

Great points. I hope you're right.

Well, there will still be a need for internal HDD, as some customers are not "tech savvy" and they just want the box to turn-on and do its thing. Many, many people are clueless about going out to get an EHD for a Dish unit and would be completely intimidated by that chore. Not their fault; they're just not techies, like a lot of senior citizens, and Dish has a lot of seniors as subs.

Call me crazy, but I don't think the 222 is ever going to get EHD support. The 222k will, but not the silver 222.

The problem is that is has taken so long for the 211 to get that promised feature, it has pushed back the the time for the 222 to get the feature. Dish has always said that the 211's would be first, then some time after that, the 222's. Dish is being cautious and evaluating the 211 experience before they piss off 222 owners, and they are probably very distracted with other software matters, particularly the DVRDuo Sling . . . that the 222 EHD is simmering on the back burner, but I believe they will release the software and the 222 will be EHD, not very soon, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts