ViP 612 has started recording seriously old episodes?

Wade-0

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
For the last week or so my DVR has been filling up with old episodes of almost every program I've got a timer on. I rebooted it and nothing has changed. Last night I went through and "skipped" about 10 episodes of Pawn Stars and verified everything that was on the schedule for today was a new program. This morning I noticed that it was recording again, and when I looked at the schedule a bunch of old episodes were listed that weren't there the night before. When I select any of them, go to the timer, and hit the "Edit" button, it shows that the timer is a ONE TIME timer? I then go to my timers menu, and scroll down the list, and every timer in the list shows that it's set for NEW. Go back to the schedule, select another old episode, then view the associated timer, and it shows ONE TIME. Where are these things coming from? Any ideas what's going on? Did something change at Dish in the last couple of weeks that might have triggered this?

I have a 622 and I record all the NEW pawn stars. Each week it looks like it's going to record all episodes until Sunday, then it only lists and records the new one. I've never noticed it except for this show.

i've been recording new episodes of southpark for 5-6 years. i've noticed that the ones that give generic info like "four boys learn about life in a small town" and doesn't have the original air date and episode #... will record under my "new episodes" timer. usually very old episodes too. out of my 5 years of experience of this have noticed it happens with other things rarely/randomly and believe that's the cause for me. hopefully this helps?

I've had the occasional old program picked up because of inaccurate/missing program guide information, but this is orders of magnitude worse. It's not just one timer, it's basically all of them (we have about 50 timers). To make matters worse, it keeps recording multiples of the same old episodes. I haven't noticed anything similar going on with the 622 we have upstairs... but we only have 5-6 timers on that one.

So what exactly do you mean by "Do a hard reset?" I rebooted it by holding down the power button until it restarted. Do you mean pull the power on it completely, or are you talking about doing some kind of factory reset?

It's not software or receiver issue. It's a program guide issue. For some reason the trigger to let the timer know it's not new isn't always present, and by default, if the timer can't tell it records it. The provider of the guide info has to fix it, Dish needs to tell them to do so...

It's not software or receiver issue. It's a program guide issue. For some reason the trigger to let the timer know it's not new isn't always present, and by default, if the timer can't tell it records it. The provider of the guide info has to fix it, Dish needs to tell them to do so...
That would be nice.:eek:

Dish buys its guide data from tribune. Tribune relys on the broadcaster to give them the information in advance. This is where the problem happens. The broadcaster slates a rerun, but does not specify which one so there is no guide data.

Dish buys its guide data from tribune. Tribune relys on the broadcaster to give them the information in advance. This is where the problem happens. The broadcaster slates a rerun, but does not specify which one so there is no guide data.

No question it will almost always happen then. Also when there is guide data but no date of airing, such as Storage wars, 2:30AM April 7th, Channel 118. It is the fault of Tribune or the provider for no date? Over the next 8 days of the guide, that example is the only for me right now way down from the last few weeks.

The other time is happens often is during marathons of a show, like Pawn Stars or Parking Wars, even with a description and a date of airing.

Yeah, most of the repeat programs have the correct description and original air date, but I already knew that wasn't what the DVR used to determine if it was a "new" episode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)