vip 612 install

There is such a thing as "sun fade," but how it effects you depends on where you live. There's also - as mentioned earlier - that expanding and contracting of the cable with the temperature differential. Where do you live?

Huh. :confused: I did a similar swap a few years ago, with a new DP twin in place of my legacy twin. I did not encounter any such problem.

OK, here's another wag. Make sure the new twin is properly bolted to the Y adapter with two screws from underneath. If you missed the hole on either top or bottom, that would allow the whole assembly to tilt a bit and move away from the focus of the dish. It still strains credulity that this problem could cause such a large signal drop while remaining invisible.

Maybe the new twin is dying. You have a DP dual on the other dish, don't you? You might try pulling the twin and putting the dual in it's place on the 119 side of the Y adapter. If your signal from 119 remains steady when the sun comes up, then I'd say you have a bad twin.

There is such a thing as "sun fade," but how it effects you depends on where you live. There's also - as mentioned earlier - that expanding and contracting of the cable with the temperature differential. Where do you live?

I live in Northeast Wisconsin about 30 miles north of Green Bay.

What's odd is I usually get all channels with on all three sats in the morning. Then when I get home, I am losing 119 channels while 110 and 61.5 are fine. Doing check switch verifies that I am getting reception on all three sats as ok and verified. When I change the transponders on the point dish screen I can get reception on odd numbered transponders for 119. The message I get when I lose signal is "Satellite signal has been lost, etc.," and the sat is 119 with an even numbered transponder.

Ed.

Interesting. The even transponders are those that are bandstacked; they occupy the upper frequencies (up to around 2GHz) on the RG6 coax. Are there any RG-59 cable segments messing up the signal? Bad barrels? Bad screw-on ends? All components have to be of good quality (rated up to 2GHz) or you will lose even transponders. RG-59 (standard issue TV coax) won't cut the mustard.

Of course RG-59 cable doesn't explain the diurnal variation.

. . .Of course RG-59 cable doesn't explain the diurnal variation.

I think the diurnal variation is my bad. I only checked 1 known channel that I was losing on 119 and waited less the a minute to acquire signal.

I ran through the 119 point dish and all of the even transponders have a bad signal (less than 10) while the odds are in the 40's. I can get signal on bad channels if I wait long enough but it cuts in and out.

I'm thinking cable. I will check everything from the dish and let you know.

Thanks much, again.

Ed

Aha. ;) Since some sats are fine, then the cables that are going from DPP44 to receiver are fine. Look at the 119 cable and barrels (if any) between the new DP twin and switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts