VIP 612 will NOT record OTA

hankster211

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
knoxville TN
I have recording issues with both of my VIP 612's.
They used to work fine but in the last few weeks, they won't record OTA.
They used to be able to record 2 dish broadcasts and one OTA simultaneously. Now they won't record OTA at all, even though the red record light is on like it is recording the OTA, the "My Recordings" does not show it's recording and obviously does not store the recorded program. (the program will show up in "Timers" as if it had recorded ok)
Since I have 2 VIP 612's and they are both acting the same way, I suspect that Dish has downloaded something that is causing this.

BTW, I pay extra for local package from Dish, so the program guide still works ok for OtA, but it just won't record.

I read Schmoot's post, but I think my problem is a little different.

Anyone had this problem recently?

Thanks,
Hank

Last edited:
Just talked with Dish technical. The first lady said the VIP 612 doesn't have the capabilty to record OTA.
I told her I had saved recordings from OTA, and that the owner's manual says it has this capability.
She said that was "implausible" I told her thanks for calling me a liar. I called back and got a guy who said it might be Dish's fault for some software flaw.
But first he said he'd send me a new VIP 612 and see if that'll fix the problem.
I told him I thought that I doubted that since both 612 receivers were doing this. He agreed, but said we'd have to start this way.

+1. There was another post about this not too long ago. Reboot fixed it if I recall. Unfortunately, the 612s have been reported the least reliable of Dish's stable of receivers. When in doubt, REBOOT!!

I recorded two OTA programs last night (Sunday night). Watched them later. This is on a 2+ yo 612 that I've had minimum problem with. Even my early problems of OTA recordings glitching has all but disappeared. (instead of happening every show, it happens once a week).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts