Vip 612 Woes

psaman

Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Corpus Christi, TX
Howdy from South Texas Folks,
I am new here and have been trying to get information on my problem. After 10+ years with Dish I decided to upgrade to HD last December to the Vip 612. Since I first got it, it intermittently, freezes video, audio and after 3-5 minutes, will re-boot itself. It may do it once or twice more , then be fine for weeks at a time. Then, it will start doing it all over again. It did it twice last night and just a while ago. It doesn't matter whether I am am watching live TV or the DVR. In searching thru this forum, it appears to be a common problem on many receivers. Current software version is L603. When I ran the counters, it shows average Hd temp as 105 F. That does not seem terribly high, the receiver is not in an enclosed cabinet, it is on a shelf and the room is air-conditioned. I hate to call Dish, since from what I read, if they replace it, the new one might do the same thing. Is this the price one has to pay for watching Dish in HD??:confused:

I too have two 612's, and they rarely (less than once/month) do that.

I just had a new vip 612 installed by Dish to replace an old 510 that they couldn't fix.
I don't get HD and I have had it freeze audio and video when I fast forward a recording. The freeze will last for 1-2 minuites then it will recover and go on.
I have done the power on reset several times and it still freezes at least once a night.
It's not a big deal, but it is annoying. I guess if it continues, I will have Dish send me a replacement.

I don't get HD and I have had it freeze audio and video when I fast forward a recording.
It's more than annoying, it's another defective unit! Most probably disk is going south.

So why do you have a 612 if you don't get HD?

I had a DVR 510 that was OK for what we use TV for. The 510 has a nasty habit of deleting recordings when ever it wants to. Not PPV movies that get deleted after 24 hours, I mean anything I recorded. It always deletes the oldest recordings. Sometimes once a month sometimes every day.
Anyway, they don't have a replacement for the 510 and I have been with Dish for over 10 years, so they offered me a vip 612 or a 622 as a replacement.
Since I wanted to keep my 2- 30" Winegard dishes and I don't want HD, it took 4 service calls for Dish to finally send a Dish tech not an independent tech to install it correctly.
The 612 is a perfect receiver for us. With it's dual tuners and 200 hours of recording time, I will love it if it stops freezing.
It sounds like the freeze problem isn't that common, so I will eventually get it fixed with a new box.

Last edited:
Sounds like the 510 was doing what it was supposed to do when it's disk is full.

This is way off the original topic of this thread.
The 510 would erase recordings whether it was 10% or 80% full. Believe me Dish tried to fix it.
Apparently this is a known problem with the 510. There are several threads on this forum about 510's erasing recordings.
Dish would not have offered me a 612 replacement with no HD if they thought they could fix the 510. They actually lowered my monthly bill slightly, apparently they were overcharging me a few dollars a month.
Since I own the 510, I still have it. I probably will take it apart unless anyone wants it.

Now, back to the 612 freeze problem. It has not failed the last 2 nights.
I will start a new thread if I find a solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)