Dish Distant Network Waiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brabus

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
After doing a bunch of reading, I'm certain Enid, OK is not going to fair well for receiving OKC HD locals OTA. So I called Dish and they have submitted the waiver(s) to the OKC affiliates. Just want to make sure I have this right: The affiliates will receive the waiver, determine if I can receive their broadcasts via OTA (which is not going to happen since I'm roughly 60 mi from their antennas), and then will grant a waiver on the premise that I have no alternative to receiving the networks in HD except from Dish. Is that correct? Also, the dish guy said it would be 30-45 days, is this normal to take so dang long just to get a waiver? I suppose it is believable b/c of all the bureaucratic crap, but still. Anyone have any interaction w/ this kind of thing?

You won't get waivers from OKC. They pretty much claim the entire western part of the state except for the panhandle. Also you are in the OKC dma and dish and directv both provide sd locals. Dish doesn't offer all the distant networks in hd so that won't help you either. A large directional antenna with an preamp/amp aimed at edmond should pull the stations in as it is pretty flat out there. www.hdtvok.com is also good place for help. Dennis is in Stillwater that runs the site.

So OKC will not grant me a waiver even thought I can't get HD locals/networks? Why does it matter if Dish doesn't offer all distant networks in HD?...I told the guy I don't care which area networks I get, as long as I get something, he said he'd put LA on. Man this ticks me off. Everything I've read says I'm pretty screwed since Enid is so far from OKC towers...apparently my only hope is a huge antenna on a 30 ft mast on my roof, which will not happen since I don't own the house and landlord won't approve it (already asked). Do you know of anything that would pull the HD signals in from something in my attic/house or am I just out of luck? I thought by law the affiliates had to grant a waiver if you can't receive the locals (in HD...yes I know I can get SD) OTA. Guess I'm missing something here. Thanks for the help, but could you clear it up based on what I just said...I'm an idiot :). Thanks!

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

If you do get the distants in HD you should get NY feeds, not LA since you are in the Central time zone.

One option you can do is "move". Of course this will change where your locals in SD come from too.

"Move" means having your service address different from your billing address.

Neutron, how would I do that? Wouldn't Dish be like "WTF?" if I was like "oh yeah, I just moved to Denver, CO, but want my billing address to be Enid, OK." I could care less about where my local SDs come from...I just want to have network HD for shows like Amazing Race, House, college football on ABC, etc. My brother lives in Colorado, so I could even just have my billing/service address be his address and just pay bills online/have him shred the paper ones...but what would Dish say if I said I was moving all of the sudden? This sounds like a more promising idea, but I feel like Dish would raise a huge BS flag if I did this.

Moving is probably the easiest. I keep my old directv account for our ranch house because I have waivers for ABC and FOX in hd because it is in Pontotoc south of Ada and there are only 2 stations in that dma. If you can use a Colorado address that qualifies for the Denver locals then you could get the 4 major networks in HD off the 129 satellite with a Dish 1000 or a separate dish aimed at 129.

Keep in mind the time zone difference everything will be an hour later.

OSU, that would work perfectly (already have a Dish 1000 aimed at 129). How would I go about this...I'm still wondering what Dish will think when all of the sudden I say "oh I just moved to Colorado." Aren't they going to question? I would think if it was this easy, people all over the place (i.e. more rural places like where I am who can't get HD locals, or specifically want a certain market) would be saying they lived somewhere else. Is it really as easy as just calling Dish up and saying I moved, here's my new address, oh and by the way I set everything up myself, so no need for an installer to come out?

Edit: Also just called a few hours ago to get the waiver process going for HD feeds (before you said I was screwed w/ OKC, otherwise wouldn't have done it), so won't that draw some suspicion...like they'll wonder why I started a waiver process right before I was going to move. Guess I could always say job move came up unexpectedly...waht do you think?

Last edited:
From above, the Denver HD locals are on 129...which I do receive down here in Oklahoma. I can't really tell from anything on that link you posted if they will reach. I assume they will because I get all the other 129 stuff. Can you tell if I will be able to get Denver in my zip (737xx)?

Edit: I found a list on DBStalk that said the den channels are on TP2 on the 129...I checked my sat reception on that TP and get it fine, so I assume I'll get Den fine, right?

Anyone else have comments/ideas on what Dish will ask/do if I pop this "scenario" to them? Thanks for the help so far guys.

Last edited:
Exactly...so I won't have a problem getting the Den channels. Now the question is what kind of questions will I get from Dish when I tell them I'm moving in the next 5 days and will just set up everything myself.

Would anyone be able to tell me if the OKC locals could technically be received in Denver, CO? I want to know just in case DN asks if my OKC locals are still coming in after I've "moved." Need to know if I should say yes they're still working, or no they're not. I don't know if the OKC spotbeam reaches CO technically. Who knows if they'll ask this, but better safe than sorry.

Distant Network is completely independent from Dish Network. I registered with Distant Network using my friend's mountain cabin address --actually using the address of the nearest lodge-- and qualified for all services. With paperless invoicing and automatic credit card payments I do not expect problems.

Major spotbeams

Man 129 is a major spotbeam bird. Here is the list for129:SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 129°W

As far as your move. Just move to OKC you are in it foot print. You are SOL for getting anything w/o a big antenna in Enid. If you look up your location on tvfool.com you don't have anything OTA closer than around 60 miles.

After doing a bunch of reading, I'm certain Enid, OK is not going to fair well for receiving OKC HD locals OTA. So I called Dish and they have submitted the waiver(s) to the OKC affiliates. Just want to make sure I have this right: The affiliates will receive the waiver, determine if I can receive their broadcasts via OTA (which is not going to happen since I'm roughly 60 mi from their antennas), and then will grant a waiver on the premise that I have no alternative to receiving the networks in HD except from Dish. Is that correct? Also, the dish guy said it would be 30-45 days, is this normal to take so dang long just to get a waiver? I suppose it is believable b/c of all the bureaucratic crap, but still. Anyone have any interaction w/ this kind of thing?

I took the situation into my own hands . I made a form letter and brought it to each of my local stations. I got the managers of each of those stations to sign the letter. Only one insisted on comming to my house in a deep canyon to see my poor reception. The rest knew I could not get reception. I then faxed the waivers to the # the AAD CSR gave me. I had all the channels within 48 hours.

Not true. Denver HD Locals are on 129 Spotbeam 4; Colorado Springs HD Locals are on 129 Spotbeam 2.

Guys this thread was started in 2006 :eek: when E5 was at 129 and everything was Conus.

Yes those are now spotbeamed and yes if you can qualify you can pay AAD their outrageous price and get Distants in HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts