CrackerTowel

Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Ada, MI
Software version: L629RBDD-N
Mode bug occurred in: Dual
Dish setup: ummm...
OTA Antenna: wimpy rabbit ears

Description of bug: VIP 622 DVR freezes/reboots after download to PocketDish (PD 402 model)

My VIP 622 DVR is rebooting after I transfer a recording to my PocketDish. The transfer seems to work OK (the file does make it to the PocketDish), the progress bar on the '842' status screen updates to show progress as the transfer is happening. Once progress reaches 100%, the DVR seems to freeze up , then the deadman/watchdog reboot happens.

I've done lots of transfers successfully in the past. I haven't done any for a couple of months, and now am seeing this behavior.

I've done a hard power-off/reboot cycle, as suggested by Dish Tech support email. No joy. After talking with Dish, all they are offering is a replacement of the unit. (I am doubtful that would make a difference).

Any one else experiencing similar? Anyone else successfully doing transfers to their Pocket Dish units with a VIP 622 with same software version?

Thanks for any/all suggestions.

Latest suggestion from a Dish tech on the tech support chat (at dishnetwork dot com) was to try the USB port on the front of the 622. OK. I'll play along.

But, as I expected, this made no difference, at all. The transfer finishes, the screen freezes, and the DVR reboots.

Anyone else want to play "Dish Technical Support" and make other obvious suggestions?

Thanks for any serious offers of possible insight. (especially, anyone who has visibility into any problem report data base of known issues, hint hint, nudge, nudge)

Upgrade to Archos 605 works just fine

Following up my own post, because I like talking to myself. :)

First, back to the old PocketDish 402 unit, it turns out the recordings are NOT being transferred successfully, they are only partially being transferred.

After doing some eBay searching around, consider another PocketDish model as an alternative (maybe my 402 is bad?), I stumbled on the fact that Archos does offer a 'plug-in' for their GEN5 series (405, 605, 705), which enables transfers from the VIP 622 DVR (and one other, can't remember which). So, I took a little leap, and bought a used Archos 605 on eBay.

End result: Transfers to the 605 unit are working perfectly. And, I've got a much more capable player than the old PD 402 (touch screen, WiFi, 30G HD, etc). So, I'm leaving the PocketDish 402 behind, as most of the tech support people had suggested anyway. (grumble)

(And, this means I don't have to replace my 622 DVR, which I felt was unnecessary, and misguided suggestion by Dish)

Good show! I have only a 404CC so I was skipped for a Dish plug-in. I have heard in previous years the PocketDish transfer was screwed up. Last I heard it was working again, but apparently it's broken a 2nd time. Very annoying. But I think you'll be happy with your 605. How much did it cost, may I ask? 30GB is rather dinky, though. Even my 4:3 Archos 404CC has a 30GB disk, and that barely holds my Spongebob episodes.

Good show! I have only a 404CC so I was skipped for a Dish plug-in. I have heard in previous years the PocketDish transfer was screwed up. Last I heard it was working again, but apparently it's broken a 2nd time. Very annoying. But I think you'll be happy with your 605. How much did it cost, may I ask? 30GB is rather dinky, though. Even my 4:3 Archos 404CC has a 30GB disk, and that barely holds my Spongebob episodes.

It looks like the used 605s on eBay are going in the $100 to $140 range, I got mine for $105. I'm using it primarily for time-shifting SIRIUS recordings, so they're not very large, the 30G will serve me quite well.

I still wouldn't mind having the PocketDish 402 transfers working, so if anyone knows anything more on that front, would like to hear from you.

This new bug might not exist for all Dish receivers. Do you have any others to try? A 522/625 might make an interesting test. Among HD receivers there are your receiver and it's successor, the 722. The 722k definitely has different firmware than my 722, and so do my 612s. Hey wait a minute. I think you can set up a recording directly from a non-DVR to your PocketDish. Do you have any non DVRs to try?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)