VIP 622 hard drive size?

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
If I order a new 622, will it have the 500 gb hard drive or maybe the smaller one. Can I specify the larger drive.

If I order a new 622, will it have the 500 gb hard drive or maybe the smaller one. Can I specify the larger drive.

Errr... no. It will have a 320GB hard drive and that's it. You can't specify anything I'm afraid. I'd love to swap out and slap a 500Gb drive in, but that won't work of course due to the proprietary nature of the Dish software and encryption they use.

There's a rumor that they will eventually enable external USB drive support on the 622, but a lot of folks here have been holding their breath for this feature and have unfortunately suffocated long ago.

Cheers!
--Supercharged_Z06

The ViP622-1 with the larger hard drive has not been released yet. No date set.

Dish USB External Storage has been delayed until June or July with no promise that there won't be further delays.

But DishOnline is still scheduled for on or about 2/15/07, I believe.

I hadn't heard about the delay on external drives.... I can only assume it is content companies kicking up a fuss and wanting more money, because it just cannot be technical limitations, this stuff is easy. Damn that pisses me off.

I want external drive support.

As for the OP, sorry, no sign of the big drive yet. Go ahead and get the DVR now, it is worth it, although we do all need more space.

Here it is

Sorry, but a phone was the best I could do right now.

Attachments

• 02-02-07_1503.jpg
    02-02-07_1503.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 610
That means nothing :(. Show other screen where is time left counter.

Help me out with some keystrokes if you would like a specific screen. All I know is that when I plugged it in, it popped up a screen, indexed the drive and went. Perhaps I am full of $#*!, but not knowingly.

PowerMax:
So you are able to move recordings on and off the external drive? Can you play back directly from the external drive?

What system software are you running?

That photo is the erd setup button when you go to the record plus screen. I have this same button and option screen, though I've never hooked up a drive to it. I assumed it was for hooking up a dvd recorder...

Now, if it "popped up" he shouldnt be in the record plus screen. If anything popped up, I would see it popping up to allow you to view photos from the drive if anything.

Just my two cents.

I am actually in the process of moving all this stuff into a closet, when I finish up later today I'll post photos of the "pop" up and I did see capacity listed at the main DVR screen right before I shut down. I'll let ya all know as soon as I can, Based upon what jmel said, I am thinking it is NOT working as I thought.

Yup, that was it. I attached and removed the drive several times and while it always came up with the USB Storage screen, looking at the DVR screen, the recording space never increased or decreased.

What is the size of this drive and what filesystem is being used on it? I plugged a 60GB external USB 2.0 drive in my 942 and it tried to spin up about 10 times and then the DVR said it was unsupported.

It was formatted as FAT32, but now tha I think about it, you may be on to something too, while the DVR should "mkfsxxx" with a blank drive. I wonder what the DVR will do if I plug a drive formatted ext2, ext3 or reiserfs?! probably nothing lol, I know the 622 is a linux box, but apparently nobody is interested in decrypting the filesystem, does anyone know the format type? I am NOT opening mine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)