vip 622 Heating issues---quick question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

NABRIL

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Hello all
I have a 622 running with temps at 137, 122, and avg of 122. I dont have the exact numbers with me right now, but the bottom line is---they are high.

I have read through the 40 page thread about 622 temps, fans, laptop coolers, etc. And I was ready to spend the $30 bucks to buy the 2 fans to sit on the left side of the receiver.

Being that this is a leased receiver,a nd I have not had any real issues with recordings, etc. Do you think it is even worth spending the $30 and the hassle of rearranging the receiver, etc?

Give me your thoughts. I am all for making something run better, but I also dont want to throw away $30 on a leased receiver.

Thanks and happy holidays

If you would lose all your recording when it fries, you would probably wish you spent the $30.00.

good point KAB.

Not that $30 is a gigantic amount of money. but times are tight!!

thanks

Hello all
I have a 622 running with temps at 137, 122, and avg of 122. I dont have the exact numbers with me right now, but the bottom line is---they are high.

I have read through the 40 page thread about 622 temps, fans, laptop coolers, etc. And I was ready to spend the $30 bucks to buy the 2 fans to sit on the left side of the receiver.

Being that this is a leased receiver,a nd I have not had any real issues with recordings, etc. Do you think it is even worth spending the $30 and the hassle of rearranging the receiver, etc?

Give me your thoughts. I am all for making something run better, but I also dont want to throw away $30 on a leased receiver.

If you don't care about the recordings stored on the 622 AND you have the DHPP, then don't bother to cool the unit. If you don't have the DHPP, the warranty on your leased unit is up after one year and you will have to pay for repairs. See this thread.

Not a long term solution, as they are not meant for continuous operation. The user reviews are pretty poor.

Put some small blocks under each corner to raise it up about an inch. I actually took the "feet" off an old CD player and put them under mine. It makes a big difference in temps since it gets air under it now. I had one of those laptop coolers and it worked fine for about 6 months or so then started getting to loud since it was on more than it was meant to be. I took it apart and oiled the bearings and cleaned out the dust and it lasted another 3 or 4 months and started giving up again so I just put the feet under it and its fine.

Put some small blocks under each corner to raise it up about an inch. I actually took the "feet" off an old CD player and put them under mine. It makes a big difference in temps since it gets air under it now. I had one of those laptop coolers and it worked fine for about 6 months or so then started getting to loud since it was on more than it was meant to be. I took it apart and oiled the bearings and cleaned out the dust and it lasted another 3 or 4 months and started giving up again so I just put the feet under it and its fine.
And I elevated my 622 up on top of a rectangular wire basket about 4-5 inches high, and it works like a charm keeping the unit cooled...

i have it up about 3/4 inch from the bottom of the cabinet, but dont have much room on the sides. I think my living room doesnt have a whole lot of air flow. Here in Miami if we get a cool front, AC doesnt come on, so not a whole lot of air circulating other than the regular air flow in a room; which can be little.

Hmm.

i have it up about 3/4 inch from the bottom of the cabinet, but dont have much room on the sides. I think my living room doesnt have a whole lot of air flow. Here in Miami if we get a cool front, AC doesnt come on, so not a whole lot of air circulating other than the regular air flow in a room; which can be little.

Hmm.
Especially in humid locals like yours, (and this has nothing to do with the receiver) you should keep your AC system fan on constantly.

Last edited:
Do you think it is even worth spending the $30 and the hassle of rearranging the receiver, etc?

If you don't mind sitting in the middle of a show and the thing overheats, freezed up, causing you to manually reboot, causing you to miss maybe 5 minutes or so of whatever you happen to be watching at the time, don't bother.

Mine did this routinely, like once or twice a day, when I first got it. It became very annoying very quickly before I looked into what the issues were and took measures to cool it down. Now runs like a charm! Can't tell you the last time I had this issue with it.

Ok, so fans it is. No problem. Thanks all for replies.
Now.

I noticed last night that my DVR sits in a really tight space. I have maybe a total of an inch on either side. Other than laying at the base of the TV (will look horrible), I have no other space.

If I put the fans to the left side so as to suck out the hot air, I will have to move the DVR to the right, almost touching the right side panel. Will doing this really accomplish anything? Yes, hot air will be sucked out, but the lack of clearance on the right wont allow much air to circulate in.

If that's the case, I'd put the fan blowing out the back of the cabinet, sucking cool air in the front and all around the receiver.

Just my opinion.

Best way to cool my VIP622

hello all and happy NY
FInally received the portable thermaltake fan. neat little device, and super quiet and can be regulated.

Attached is picture of my really cramped space. I put the receiver up on 2 pieces of mdf about 3inches wide. I have 4 options:
1) Put fan under receiver (as it is now), and have it blow air up
2) Modify fan (remove one of the grills) so it fits on either the right side blowing in, or on left side, sucking out. Either way, one side will sit flush with the cabinet wall.
3) Place fan in the back somehow since there are a lot of cables. However, I do not see any grills on the back panel, so I am not sure this option will actually cool anything.
4) On top blowing down? I guess is a 4th option.

Thanks again for all help and ideas. Gotta cool this thing down!!

N

Attachments

• 100_8214.JPG
    100_8214.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 221
This worked for me:

Remove top cover and add a fan blowing down angled so that it blows toward the right between power supply and hard drive.

Also, remove that obsolete piece of equipment under it if you can so there is more room on top for airflow.

Hello all

This should be an easier decision then everyone is making it. You can try all the tips that everyone is recommending but you still come down to a piece of equipment that is not working right. If it is running hot then have it replaced. Simple as that. I had a 622 that I bought from a local retailer that kept running hot. I had it in an open cabinet with more than enough air to circulate and it still ran hot. I had it replaced and it has been working fine. No problems at all... yet. It has been working fine for several months now.

No offense to anyone that responded before me. I just think that spending $30-$50 on something to keep a bad receiver cool is wasting money. Why not spend just $5.99 and get it replaced? The OP is right, times have changed and money is tight... even if it is only $30.

Maybe I'm just "lucky" or maybe it is the design, every dish DVR I've ever had has run hot. I could have cooked bacon & eggs on top of the old 522.

My temps in my VIP622 right this minute, 1/3/2009 1:42am EST:

HDD High Temp: 100F
HDD Low Temp: 78F
HDD Average Temp: 89F

All I did was this:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...perature-thread-yours-hot-29.html#post1617381

It only cost me around $8.00 US, and a little bit of time. It's been great since I installed it, and I have a real tight cabinet. Looks ugly, but who cares, as it can't be seen when the cabinet is closed. It's plugged into the front usb port, and is extremely quiet. I would have bought the Ebay fans for $30, but first I wanted to prototype this, and since it works, I'm staying with it. Also, the receiver sits on top of 16oz pop bottle caps under the feet. The original feet nestle inside of the pop bottle caps, and raise it up for more air to suck from under as needed.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)