VIP 622 Observations

JMikeF

JMikeF

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 3, 2003
2,508
0
The land of the dead
I'm an early adopter - there's been HD in my home since 1999. Nevertheless, I wisely decided to wait it out for a Dish PVR until the release of the 622. I've had the 6000 and the 811 (both problematic), and also bought the Sony HD-PVR for OTA recording, with the TV Guide interface that's somewhat combersome. My 622 was installed last Friday. The installers simply replaced my switch, and I was good to go.

First Impressions:
1) Smooth inital download. No glitches or hangs.
2) Picture quality is much improved from previous Dish HD receivers. Rock solid, incredible detail on channels that broadcast full HD signal. This is somewat surpising, and a key point for me.
3) UI much improved. A bit ticked off that the 622 does not display OTA guide, because my 811 did - no matter, I use the Sony for OTA recording (60 hours of HD - right now, I have the whole season of "24" and "Lost" recorded)
4) WTF is Dish on Demand taking up precious HD space? I'll never use it.
5) Where are the MPEG4 channels, like U-HD and ESPN2?
6) Did I mention that the HD picture is exceptional?

I plan on setting some timers. So far, so good. :D
 
ChetK

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 14, 2004
981
8
Round Rock, TX
Even if you DO swith to the new HD Package and you DO get those two channels, i don't believe they really are in Mpeg-4 just yet. I could be wrong. Cna anyone confirm this?

What about HD locals? Are they in true Mpeg-4 yet?
 
RandallA

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
10,556
68
San Francisco Bay Area
ChetK said:
Even if you DO swith to the new HD Package and you DO get those two channels, i don't believe they really are in Mpeg-4 just yet. I could be wrong. Cna anyone confirm this?

What about HD locals? Are they in true Mpeg-4 yet?

Universal HD and ESPN2 HD are MPEG2 channels with MPEG4 headers. The HD locals are MPEG4.
 
JMikeF

JMikeF

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 3, 2003
2,508
0
The land of the dead
dfergie said:
9427 UNIHD and 9425 ES2HD, did you switch to one of the new HD packages?
Yes, you have to in order to get the upgrade deal. When I attempted to create a Favorites list, I saw that there was a HD list available, so I'm using it. I guess it's already outdated, so I'll create my own.
 
ChetK

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 14, 2004
981
8
Round Rock, TX
Yeah, it is listed under All Chan, Subscribed Channels, or when you create a new one, they will be listed there for you to chose.
 
G

gutter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
May 26, 2004
1,510
0
I also don't understand the reason for the DISH-On-Demand. If I wanted to see a movie later, I would just record a PPV and watch it later. Why waste all that DISk space? I DOD HD?
 
G

gutter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
May 26, 2004
1,510
0
ChetK said:
If you mean "Is DoD HD?" then the answer is no.

Then it isn't really worth the price. I don't understand. Yes I meant DoD (DISH on Demand)
 
S

Smith P.

On Vacation
Oct 4, 2003
8,907
1
Bay Area, CA
RandallA said:
Universal HD and ESPN2 HD are MPEG2 channels with MPEG4 headers. The HD locals are MPEG4.
Those channels are regular MPEG-2 channels with MPEG-2 headers, but in System tables the channels marked by special value, so only 211,411 or 622 could receive it.
 
JMikeF

JMikeF

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 3, 2003
2,508
0
The land of the dead
So, last night I tried to create my own HD Favorites list, but a number of the new HD channels were RED - I had no access. So, with trepidation, I called Dish and lucky me, I got a very knowlegeable fellow with a slight Texas accent. He checked my account and discovered that it had not been upgraded to one of the new HD 'metal' packages when my install was done. In a few minutes, I had access to all the 20+ HD channels.

And the CR apologized for the incident. How refreshing.
 
dfergie

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
JMikeF said:
So, last night I tried to create my own HD Favorites list, but a number of the new HD channels were RED - I had no access. So, with trepidation, I called Dish and lucky me, I got a very knowlegeable fellow with a slight Texas accent. He checked my account and discovered that it had not been upgraded to one of the new HD 'metal' packages when my install was done. In a few minutes, I had access to all the 20+ HD channels.

And the CR apologized for the incident. How refreshing.
Thats what I kinda thought, I had to prompt them to change HD packs when I activated my 622...
 

Similar threads

Foxbat
Replies
16
Views
2K
Jim5506
Jim5506
E
Replies
8
Views
2K
primestar31
primestar31
G
Replies
0
Views
719
golfwalt49
G
J
Replies
19
Views
3K
SimpleSimon
SimpleSimon
DetFan
Replies
4
Views
2K
Claude Greiner
Claude Greiner
Top