VIP 622 Observations

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JMikeF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
The land of the dead
I'm an early adopter - there's been HD in my home since 1999. Nevertheless, I wisely decided to wait it out for a Dish PVR until the release of the 622. I've had the 6000 and the 811 (both problematic), and also bought the Sony HD-PVR for OTA recording, with the TV Guide interface that's somewhat combersome. My 622 was installed last Friday. The installers simply replaced my switch, and I was good to go.

First Impressions:
1) Smooth inital download. No glitches or hangs.
2) Picture quality is much improved from previous Dish HD receivers. Rock solid, incredible detail on channels that broadcast full HD signal. This is somewat surpising, and a key point for me.
3) UI much improved. A bit ticked off that the 622 does not display OTA guide, because my 811 did - no matter, I use the Sony for OTA recording (60 hours of HD - right now, I have the whole season of "24" and "Lost" recorded)
4) WTF is Dish on Demand taking up precious HD space? I'll never use it.
5) Where are the MPEG4 channels, like U-HD and ESPN2?
6) Did I mention that the HD picture is exceptional?

I plan on setting some timers. So far, so good. :D

Even if you DO swith to the new HD Package and you DO get those two channels, i don't believe they really are in Mpeg-4 just yet. I could be wrong. Cna anyone confirm this?

What about HD locals? Are they in true Mpeg-4 yet?

ChetK said:
Even if you DO swith to the new HD Package and you DO get those two channels, i don't believe they really are in Mpeg-4 just yet. I could be wrong. Cna anyone confirm this?

What about HD locals? Are they in true Mpeg-4 yet?

Universal HD and ESPN2 HD are MPEG2 channels with MPEG4 headers. The HD locals are MPEG4.

dfergie said:
9427 UNIHD and 9425 ES2HD, did you switch to one of the new HD packages?
Yes, you have to in order to get the upgrade deal. When I attempted to create a Favorites list, I saw that there was a HD list available, so I'm using it. I guess it's already outdated, so I'll create my own.

I also don't understand the reason for the DISH-On-Demand. If I wanted to see a movie later, I would just record a PPV and watch it later. Why waste all that DISk space? I DOD HD?

ChetK said:
If you mean "Is DoD HD?" then the answer is no.

Then it isn't really worth the price. I don't understand. Yes I meant DoD (DISH on Demand)

RandallA said:
Universal HD and ESPN2 HD are MPEG2 channels with MPEG4 headers. The HD locals are MPEG4.
Those channels are regular MPEG-2 channels with MPEG-2 headers, but in System tables the channels marked by special value, so only 211,411 or 622 could receive it.

So, last night I tried to create my own HD Favorites list, but a number of the new HD channels were RED - I had no access. So, with trepidation, I called Dish and lucky me, I got a very knowlegeable fellow with a slight Texas accent. He checked my account and discovered that it had not been upgraded to one of the new HD 'metal' packages when my install was done. In a few minutes, I had access to all the 20+ HD channels.

And the CR apologized for the incident. How refreshing.

JMikeF said:
So, last night I tried to create my own HD Favorites list, but a number of the new HD channels were RED - I had no access. So, with trepidation, I called Dish and lucky me, I got a very knowlegeable fellow with a slight Texas accent. He checked my account and discovered that it had not been upgraded to one of the new HD 'metal' packages when my install was done. In a few minutes, I had access to all the 20+ HD channels.

And the CR apologized for the incident. How refreshing.
Thats what I kinda thought, I had to prompt them to change HD packs when I activated my 622...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)