VIP 622 Running out of DVR Space

manyultra

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
I'm searching for a way to add more space for HD recordings, or a way to archive the HD content (Concerts, Movies Etc) while preserving the HD format.

So far it seems like the best method is to use two 622's since one cannot be modified by changing hard drives.

Is it possible to connect two 622's together so one can be configured as the ext device for timer recordings? There doesn't seem to be an input on the back of the 622 to connect anything to other than the USB, so how would you connect the two together? Or would it make more sense to purchase a 622 from a distributor, and split the satellite coax coming in so you have access to two fully functional units, and connect each to its own separate input on the TV?

You have seen the post on 622's and adding external HD's.

If you add another 622 they can not be connected together. You must run another coax from the switch. The satellite signal can not be split.

I use my 942/622 combination to split recording duties between the two.

We're mostly stuck until we get external hdd support.

I've been using my PocketDish to clear SD content where possible.

I move recordings to the PocketDish. Then, I plug the PocketDish and a fat32 formatted USB drive into a PC and move the recordings to the external drive.

Since the PocketDish (500 & 700) has a USB host port it can play the content directly off the external drive.

IMPORTANT: The content can only be played by the original PocketDish.

Since it's SD content, there's not much quality loss.

SometimesI get back more 622 space then I expect. I think all the SD events are fragmenting the hard drive.

It's kinda funny. The pocket dish is a USB "Mass Storage" compliant device. So are the external USB hard drives. It dosn't seem like there's a huge difference between supporting PocketDish and Generic Hard Drives (encryption is already being applied to the files). It's sad that this is taking so long.

if you want to archive recordings you may want to lookinto nextcom r5000 mod
nextcom homepage
http://www.nextcomwireless.com/r5000/home.htm

That mod looks nice, if I was sitting on a pile of money, but I am 100% sure the wife would divorce me if I went out and did it! :D

I am still hoping that Dish will announce the External HDD support about the time when they lose the Distant nets; it might ease the pain.

The problem is that the nextcom mod will not work for archiving a disk recording out to another external disk. It will only work for an active playback on tuner 1.

I've checked :)

Cheers,

The problem is that the nextcom mod will not work for archiving a disk recording out to another external disk. It will only work for an active playback on tuner 1.

I've checked :)

Cheers,

Nextcom mod saves the live digital stream from the satellite directly to your computer hard drive via USB 2.0. From there you can move it wherever you need and play it or manipulate it.

There is also work being done on the Yahoo Group PVRExplorer with direct extraction of recordings from the 622 disk drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts