VIP 622...slow reponse to remote...unplugging fixes it for a while...anyone else?

David Taylor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
Guys,

I have a couple of 622s in my house. One of them will start having extremely slow response time to the remote control. Sometimes it doesn't seem to respond to button presses at all. It seems like it takes an unplugging (not just a hold-down-the-power-button reset) to get it to start working normally again. I have one in the bedroom that never seems to do this. Is something flaking out on this receiver? Does anyone else have this issue? I've tried changing the remote frequency and that doesn't help.

Here is something strange that I noticed. I was trying to determine if something was messed up with the radio reception. I thought it might be using IR instead. When I covered the top of the remote with my hand (to block IR) the remote worked normally. When I took my hand away it acted weird and didn't respond consistently. It is almost as if the IR signal is interfering with the radio signal. Does that make any sense at all?

Here is something strange that I noticed. I was trying to determine if something was messed up with the radio reception. I thought it might be using IR instead. When I covered the top of the remote with my hand (to block IR) the remote worked normally. When I took my hand away it acted weird and didn't respond consistently. It is almost as if the IR signal is interfering with the radio signal. Does that make any sense at all?

I could see that happening. I don't know exactly why but strange things can affect IR and UHF signals in a room.

If it responds to both IR and RF then if your TV floods with IR as some do for brightness control, then you could have canceling or interfering signals.
Maybe dark taping the IR receptor would help then. Just a thought.
-Ken

This is not intuitive at all, but somehow just tightening the RF antenna on the receiver fixed the issue. I still don't understand how that would help, since it worked perfectly when I put my hand over the IR emitter on the remote. Now it works fine. Go figure.

Dave, thanks for starting this thread. I noticed the same problem on my 622 this morning, after returning from a 2-week vacation, and then found your thread containing a solution that appears to fix it. Neat!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)