VIP 722 2nd TV interferance

srecker

Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
St. Paul, MN
I have the VIP 722 receiver and my second TV is getting some interference/"noise" in the picture. It looks like it is raining (NOT snowing) over the entire picture on every channel, including the dish network menu. The TV is fine because I am able to watch a DVD and I do not get this interference. I have the modulator setup on air/channel 60. I've also tried cable/73. Has anyone had this issue? Or does anyone have any suggestions as what to look at?

TV1 obviously works fine.

Thanks!

Could be two things. either the tuner is going bad in that TV or the coax running to it is bad. You can do a simple test by using a short peice of coax to connect the TV right at the receiver. If you still have a bad pic then bad tuner if not then its the coax or if they're being used diaplexor.

If possible try using another tv. DVD is using an input and your saying its fine does not guarantee the tv tuner dose not have an issue. Believe it of not we do run into this type of thing from time to time.

Update

Alright so check this out - I went and tried several of your suggestions, thank you all who chimed in.

The interference will immediately disappear when I activate PIP (picture within a picture) on my television. Keep in mind, all the PIP is doing is showing a tiny blue screen because of setup with dish. I'm not sure why pushing the PIP button would fix this, but it does. I confirmed this by turning the tv off and on, only to see the interference showing up again, on the same AIR/60 channel. I then push the PIP button on the remote, the tiny blue PIP box shows up and the interference goes away while the main screen stays on the same channel.

Does anyone else find this odd??

Couple questions I have: 1) What kind of TV do you have in the room with the issue? 2) What mode is that TV in (i.e. if its a Sony, is 'cable' turned off or on)? 3) Have you run an Auto-Channel scan on the TV? 4) Any recent 'power outages' or has the TV recently been unplugged and/or moved? Any new splitters installed to your recollection? 5) Has anything been 'adjusted' or moved in the room with the receiver?

Sounds to me like it could be settings and/or cabling. Tuner failures are not uncommon, but symptoms are slightly different from what I have seen. Picture would usually get better or worse as the TV stays on, PIP would not have an affect on it especially with a 'blue' screen. Most of the newer TV's do not have dual ATSC (digital) tuners or even two tuners at all, and require two separate sources to run PIP on the TV itself. Through the DISH equipment PIP is different though.

Last edited:
Couple questions I have: 1) What kind of TV do you have in the room with the issue? 2) What mode is that TV in (i.e. if its a Sony, is 'cable' turned off or on)? 3) Have you run an Auto-Channel scan on the TV? 4) Any recent 'power outages' or has the TV recently been unplugged and/or moved? Any new splitters installed to your recollection? 5) Has anything been 'adjusted' or moved in the room with the receiver?

Sounds to me like it could be settings and/or cabling. Tuner failures are not uncommon, but symptoms are slightly different from what I have seen. Picture would usually get better or worse as the TV stays on, PIP would not have an affect on it especially with a 'blue' screen. Most of the newer TV's do not have dual ATSC (digital) tuners or even two tuners at all, and require two separate sources to run PIP on the TV itself. Through the DISH equipment PIP is different though.

Hi, the TV is a Vizio VX37L and is set on Air/channel 60 mode. I have run the auto scan, and it only finds the channel that I have the modulator set to. We haven't had any power outages in quite some time that I am aware of. The TV has been unplugged before, but not recently. I checked all the coax cables to ensure they are all tight. The only splitter that I am aware of is the splitter coming out of the back of the DISH box which takes TV1/TV2 together to one wire. I am not sure if thats coming in, or going out however I am sure its a standard setup.

Yes it is very odd, I turn the TV on and there is interference, I push the PIP button on the remote and the little PIP box shows up (blue of course) and the interference goes away. If I turn the TV off, I am back to square 1.

Surprised no one mentioned grounding issue. If the TVs plugged into a power strip, move it to the wall. And even go as far as putting a ground eliminator on the power cord (or just break the ground pin)

Bet that fixes it

Similiar problem

I have a similar problem, but in my case I know what generated the problem. I just do not have any ideas on how to fix it. I also have a second TV off of a Dish 322 box. Now all that I am getting is a channel of snow.

The problem started on Friday when I had Earthlink (done by Time Warner) cable internet installed and they shared that run of coax to supply the internet to an adjoining room. All seemed very smooth, but later when the TV was put on, snow.

I had a Time Warner guy come back and check the installation, but he said there was nothing he could do. I called Dish Network and checked a few things, but there were no solutions. Of course they offered to send someone out for $95. Sadly, this is an old TV and only has 69 channels. I did note that when I reset the modulator to 68 and 69 I was getting a very poor Dish program. When I disconnect the internet from the splitter feeding the line the Dish signal comes back to the TV, though it is snowy. Not as clear as it used to be. I am guessing that has to do with the extra splitter that is in the line.

I can think of two simple solutions. First, get another TV that has more than 69 channels. The second idea would be to run a separate stretch of coax from the receiver to the TV. That might mean going attic and trying to fish cable to outlets, fighting squirrels and so on.

Any other ideas on what would be causing this and possible simple solutions? By the way, the internet works great.

I have a similar problem, but in my case I know what generated the problem. I just do not have any ideas on how to fix it. I also have a second TV off of a Dish 322 box. Now all that I am getting is a channel of snow.

The problem started on Friday when I had Earthlink (done by Time Warner) cable internet installed and they shared that run of coax to supply the internet to an adjoining room. All seemed very smooth, but later when the TV was put on, snow.

I had a Time Warner guy come back and check the installation, but he said there was nothing he could do. I called Dish Network and checked a few things, but there were no solutions. Of course they offered to send someone out for $95. Sadly, this is an old TV and only has 69 channels. I did note that when I reset the modulator to 68 and 69 I was getting a very poor Dish program. When I disconnect the internet from the splitter feeding the line the Dish signal comes back to the TV, though it is snowy. Not as clear as it used to be. I am guessing that has to do with the extra splitter that is in the line.

I can think of two simple solutions. First, get another TV that has more than 69 channels. The second idea would be to run a separate stretch of coax from the receiver to the TV. That might mean going attic and trying to fish cable to outlets, fighting squirrels and so on.

Any other ideas on what would be causing this and possible simple solutions? By the way, the internet works great.

The simplest fix you would be telling Time Warner to come back and run a dedicated line to the modem, and to restore the orignal line to it's previous set up. In theroy there shouldn't be any issues with sharing the run (you can never share the SAT feed with a modem though). The issue is probably the type of splitter used to combine the two runs together. Usually Time Warner splitters will not allow you to combine two feeds to one coax run.

The TV is plugged into a strip, I will try and plug it directly into the wall when I get home.. In regards to being dual or single, I think its dual as I can watch both TV's at the same time but access different channels.

I'm having DISH come out on Saturday, are these field agents experienced in this type of troubleshooting? Or will I be wasting my time...

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will try whatever else that is suggested throughout the day when I get home tonight and update the thread.

Thanks again - Steve

The TV is plugged into a strip, I will try and plug it directly into the wall when I get home.. In regards to being dual or single, I think its dual as I can watch both TV's at the same time but access different channels.

I'm having DISH come out on Saturday, are these field agents experienced in this type of troubleshooting? Or will I be wasting my time?

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will try whatever else that is suggested throughout the day when I get home tonight and update the thread.

Thanks again - Steve

Don't forget to also remove the ground from the power cord if moving it to the wall don't fix it.

you can either break the pin off or put an adapter on it.

Lemme know

There is not any other equipment involved in TV2 right? No DVD/VCRs or anything connected? I have seen "fuzzy pictures" happen when the TV is set to the correct channel per the dish receiver and the VCR is just powered on. If there is a DVD/VCR, turn it off or even bypass it.

Don't forget to also remove the ground from the power cord if moving it to the wall don't fix it.

you can either break the pin off or put an adapter on it.

Lemme know
Do you mean he should break off the ground from the Dish receiver's power Cord? Never do that. That would break the warantte by tampering with the device. Very bad advice to ever remove the ground.

Thanks again - Steve

What happens to tv2 when you switch to single mode? Does the interference go away?

On my 722, pushing the pip button on either remotes when in dual mode shows nothing on either output.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)