ViP 722: Error 850 with new Toshiba 1 TB EHD

GTAE86

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
I have tried to get my new Toshiba 1 TB EHD to work on a ViP 722 a couple of times. Each time, I plug everything in from scratch, so I am pretty sure that the new USB cable is properly connected. Each time, I have to cycle power on the DVR to get it to even recognize anything has changed. In both cases, I got error 850 - "You have connected an unsupported device to the USB port. Select "Help" for more information." Of course, the help is no help at all :)

Does anyone know if this EHD is supported?

Any help would be appreciated.

A few questions:

Is your EHD powered? It needs to be to work with the 722...
Is your EHD single disc? It can not be double disk to work with the 722..

Just googled 1T Toshiba. Lot of reports of it not even being recognized by PC's. Not a good rep.

(In a robotic tone) Matt with DISH here. What is the model number of the EHD you're trying to use? I can look it up to see if it would work (chances are someone will be faster then me on the draw).

Thanks for the answers!

Yes, I have the feature activated and the EHD is externally powered. Not sure about whether it is single or double platter....

Model is PH3100U-1EXB.

My wife is using an identical one on her Mac (I bought two). Got the Toshiba because it seemed reliable....

From a TigerDirect customer review:
GG said:
Note the description says DESKTOP EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE. Don't buy this expecting to hook it up to a DVR. The proprietary software on this drive has read-only Virtual CD with backup software and utilities that can't be removed. Even as a desktop drive you can't use the full capacity because it boots up with 2 drive letters. The virtual CD is the first drive partitioned and shows up first in your directory tree. Beautiful drive case but worthless for anything but pure backups.
This makes this Toshiba the fourth setup I've heard of that doesn't work.

Ahhh...what a bummer. That's really...harsh! Thanks for the help.

I bought it about a year ago because the price was good at the time, and it had a power supply. Should have just bought a drive caddy instead.

I have looked a good bit at the thread on EHDs, but it is somewhat disorganized - does anyone have a 1 TB or greater EHD they have had good experience with?

On a related note, I have read of people having trouble with formatting on one DVR and then not being able to use the EHD on a replacement DVR - true or not?

On a related note, I have read of people having trouble with formatting on one DVR and then not being able to use the EHD on a replacement DVR - true or not?

Not true, as long as the replacement is the same series as original (622/722 (K's and non-K's)/612 .

So, to be sure, can I go from 722 -> 722k, or just 722 -> 722?

My 722 is acting weird - when recording any local channel, OTA or from satellite, it destroys the local channels on satellite. Go to menu 6 1 1 and just look at the screen (no check switch, nothing - just show it) and it clears up. I can be watching the channel and see it is OK, record, and channels go.

Anyway, I want to switch out the receiver, and if going to the trouble, would like to move to the 722k.

Yes, I have the feature activated and the EHD is externally powered. Not sure about whether it is single or double platter....

Model is PH3100U-1EXB.

My wife is using an identical one on her Mac (I bought two). Got the Toshiba because it seemed reliable....

It isn't the number of platters, but whether the device is one single physical drive unit as compared to two or more separate physical drives chained together into a JBOD (just big ol' disk) configuration. The former works with any number of platters; the latter does not. E.g., some 1 TB externals were actually two 500 GB drives combined with JBOD circuitry.

So, to be sure, can I go from 722 -> 722k, or just 722 -> 722?

My 722 is acting weird - when recording any local channel, OTA or from satellite, it destroys the local channels on satellite. Go to menu 6 1 1 and just look at the screen (no check switch, nothing - just show it) and it clears up. I can be watching the channel and see it is OK, record, and channels go.

Anyway, I want to switch out the receiver, and if going to the trouble, would like to move to the 722k.

You can move between all the receivers I listed in post #9

I went from a 622 to a 722k and had no problem using my EHD with programs from the 622. The 722k acted like nothing had changed at all.

@LaddyBoy - Interesting. I used "platter" when I meant "disk", but either way, I did not know there was any trickery going on under the covers. So the Toshiba implementation is two 500 GB drives emulating 1 TB of storage? That is why the earlier poster mentioned a virtual drive....

@KAB, RickDee - Thanks. I will just get a different EHD. I will take another look at the EHD thread to find a decent one.

Make it simple...just get a Western Digital. They all work just fine.

What size would you recommend? Does the DVR still only recognize the first 750 GB, or does it use more?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)