vip 722 just went bad any suggestions?

kukblue1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
My 722 keeps going out. I'll be watching tv and then boom the fan kicks on and the box goes out. I have tried everything (power reset, unplugging it, plugging it in to a different outlet, plugging it in directly to the outlet and nothing. The only thing that really happens is that the green light comes on and the fan runs. Then it will shut off and same things happens. Sometime with will try to aquire satellite signal but then go out again.

Called dishnetwork and they want to charge me $50 for someone to come look at it or she would waive the fee if I sign up for protection for $5.99 a month or some BS like that. I was kind of pissed cause I asked her why they just couldn't mail me a new box and I'll mail the old one back. Why should I pay for someone to install a new box when I'm leasing the box anyway. She told me it's no different then when you lease a car and you break the car you have to repair it. Ok good point but still ticked off.

So I'm looking for anyone that might know someother trick I don't know about to get it to rest or should I spend the $50 or sign up for the 5.99 a month protection plan.

You mean unhook the line from outside going into the dishbox and then try powering it on. If the dish box comes on then it's not the receiver? I currently have it working again but not sure for how long. I took out the smart card and put it back in.

Oh one other thing is that I have another 722 and it's working fine

LOL I didn't think about that but I'm sure they will lock you into a year agreement like the do everything else.

My 722 keeps going out. I'll be watching tv and then boom the fan kicks on and the box goes out. I have tried everything (power reset, unplugging it, plugging it in to a different outlet, plugging it in directly to the outlet and nothing. The only thing that really happens is that the green light comes on and the fan runs. Then it will shut off and same things happens. Sometime with will try to aquire satellite signal but then go out again.

Called dishnetwork and they want to charge me $50 for someone to come look at it or she would waive the fee if I sign up for protection for $5.99 a month or some BS like that. I was kind of pissed cause I asked her why they just couldn't mail me a new box and I'll mail the old one back. Why should I pay for someone to install a new box when I'm leasing the box anyway. She told me it's no different then when you lease a car and you break the car you have to repair it. Ok good point but still ticked off.

So I'm looking for anyone that might know someother trick I don't know about to get it to rest or should I spend the $50 or sign up for the 5.99 a month protection plan.

Those symptoms sound exactly like what I had with my 622. The only other "trick" the tech on the DISH phone line said was "sometimes random IR signals from other systems can interfere, put a black cover over the IR eye on the receiver." Which I did, but no joy. This was the first of two calls to DISH, the second call resulted in their sending out a field tech, with a 722 (no 'k') replacement. On a prior service issue, DISH signed me up for DHPP without my knowledge, and cancelled it upon my complaining. I own my equipment, so no debate over who broke it and who pays. Good luck:)

Just use DHPP and then cancel it after the first month. THere is no committment for using it. I have replaced 2 508's and a bad lnb with it over the years. My dad just had to have his 722 replaced with DHPP, which of course the replacement they shipped was DOA so now waiting for the next one.

L617 has led to many complaining of this issue. I unplugged my 722, unhooked the satellite cables, plugged it back in, let it search for satellites for a while, unplugged it once more, reconnected the satellite cables, plugged the 722 again once more, and since then no problems. Before that, rebooting every 10 minutes. I think the box needs a full reset to deal with L617 and the only way to do that is force the issue. Perhaps removing and reinserting the smart card does the same thing.

L617 has led to many complaining of this issue. I unplugged my 722, unhooked the satellite cables, plugged it back in, let it search for satellites for a while, unplugged it once more, reconnected the satellite cables, plugged the 722 again once more, and since then no problems. Before that, rebooting every 10 minutes. I think the box needs a full reset to deal with L617 and the only way to do that is force the issue. Perhaps removing and reinserting the smart card does the same thing.
:eek: Talk about a hard reboot.

I would get the Protection plan, and keep it.
Service calls are only $30 then, and Receivers are free.
But if this only cost you $50, You might as well just pay the $50.
The protection plan will cost you $72 per year, so you got off cheap.
Just hope nothing else happends.

I just was on the phone with a rep about my 722 that was freezing/skipping while watching anything that was recorded. After deleting all the recordings and hard rebooting it, it tells me that pause and record functions are not currently available. My DVR no longer R's.

She told me that I'd have to send my receiver on my dime, then pay $14.95 for them to ship me a new one. I remembered hearing about people who signed up for DHPP and flat out asked her if I could add DHPP she processed my request of a new receiver. She said yes. So I'll be charged a month at $5.99 plus a prorated amout for the rest of this month on my next bill. But I fully plan to cancel it about a month from now, and there was no commitment for how long I need to keep DHPP. And perhaps the biggest kicker for me is that I keep this DVR until I receive the new one. It still works fine for regular watching, it just doesn't record anymore. That wouldn't have been possible under the non-DHPP option.

I would go that route, and also attempt to keep them from having to do a service call. Then you're out maybe $10 at most and you get a new receiver that you are fully capable of installing yourself before you send back your old one.

I just was on the phone with a rep about my 722 that was freezing/skipping while watching anything that was recorded. After deleting all the recordings and hard rebooting it, it tells me that pause and record functions are not currently available. My DVR no longer R's.

She told me that I'd have to send my receiver on my dime, then pay $14.95 for them to ship me a new one. I remembered hearing about people who signed up for DHPP and flat out asked her if I could add DHPP she processed my request of a new receiver. She said yes. So I'll be charged a month at $5.99 plus a prorated amout for the rest of this month on my next bill. But I fully plan to cancel it about a month from now, and there was no commitment for how long I need to keep DHPP. And perhaps the biggest kicker for me is that I keep this DVR until I receive the new one. It still works fine for regular watching, it just doesn't record anymore. That wouldn't have been possible under the non-DHPP option.

I would go that route, and also attempt to keep them from having to do a service call. Then you're out maybe $10 at most and you get a new receiver that you are fully capable of installing yourself before you send back your old one.
You probably won't get a new receiver. You'll get a refurbished one with who know what problems it had before it was sent back by its previous user.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)