VIP 722K DVR Dish Cinema

gypsyrk

Original poster
May 22, 2011
Knoxville Tennessee
I am trying to get connected to Dish Cinema, which requires a broadband connection. I have a VIP 722K DVR. I am using a Verizon wireless usb modem to connect to the internet. When I try using it with the 722K it doesn't work. I have found out that I need to get a Netgear 802.11N WNDA-3100v2 and it will work with Dish. However, my question is how do I get the internet signal from Verizon to the Netgear modem? Is there something else I need to buy, such as a router from Verizon or is Verizon even capable of doing this? Hope you can help.

I don't think the Verizon USB modem will work with anything other than a PC. So, you have to plug it into a PC, connect it up to the Internet that way, and then (probably) use Internet connection sharing to slave your 722 to the PC. I'm guessing here. :(

I am trying to get connected to Dish Cinema, which requires a broadband connection. I have a VIP 722K DVR. I am using a Verizon wireless usb modem to connect to the internet. When I try using it with the 722K it doesn't work. I have found out that I need to get a Netgear 802.11N WNDA-3100v2 and it will work with Dish. However, my question is how do I get the internet signal from Verizon to the Netgear modem? Is there something else I need to buy, such as a router from Verizon or is Verizon even capable of doing this? Hope you can help.
:welcometo Sat Guys gypsrk!! ckhalil18 is correct and if you would like to see how it connect ups this should help answer any questions! Get Connected to Broadband. Get More - DISH Network

Getting the Netgear USB adapter to work with the 722 is irrelevant, because it has nowhere to go! The OP is using a Verizon USB modem to give himself "broadband". I believe this will require connecting the 722 to the PC with the Verizon USB modem. The 722 cannot use the Verizon USB modem directly.

I have actually seen it done with a MAC computer. The computer did need to be running but was able to connect to Dish Cinema with the USB Modem connected to the computer and Netgear adapter on the receiver, but you are correct that I do not have any idea exactly what the OP's set-up is or it actual capabilities.

What I have done in other situations, is buy yourself a wireless router that has a USB connection. You can plug the Verizon USB modem into the wireless router, and it will broadcast it. That's how we setup our "visitor wireless" in our office since our network is blocked for non-corporate laptops.

USB modems will not work being directly connected to the receiver because of driver issues. The Netgear WiFi works because dish has pre-installed teh drivers for it in the software.

What I have done in other situations, is buy yourself a wireless router that has a USB connection. You can plug the Verizon USB modem into the wireless router, and it will broadcast it. That's how we setup our "visitor wireless" in our office since our network is blocked for non-corporate laptops.

This seems to make the most sense based on the info in the OP.

basically you have this:

cell tower >> usb modem >> usb router with wireless >> wireless adapter plugged into 722k >> enjoy dish cinema

you would add your computer to the usb router. most have connections for that.