ViP 922 Access Via Port 443?

DishCustomer

Nov 21, 2011
California
I notice if I point a web browser on a computer in my LAN to the URL of my ViP922 using https:// it asks for a login and password. Anyone know what this might be used for?

Thanks.

garygaryj

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 6, 2011
VA
That's a good one!
And I guess - so far anyway - nobody knows.
I tried several simple but logical combinations for userid and password, but no admission.

3HaloODST

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 2, 2010
Earth
Works on 722K as well.

The password prompt says "Private Page" and when you fail it says "401 - Unauthorized" in big white letters in the center of the page on a black background. My guess is it might have something to do with Google TV.

plfinch

Nov 24, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I was wondering about this as well (a google search on same led me to this forum). My network sniffer showed all 3 of my Dish receivers (722, 722k, 922) answering on port 443 (https) and all respond to browser queries with login prompts. Not related to sling since the 722 is not sling enabled (my 722k does have the sling adapter).

Peter

garygaryj

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 6, 2011
VA
Well, Port 443 is used for Secure Socket Layer (SSL) password enabled capability, in general internet terms. Guessing game for uses, other than what has already been mentioned?

My speculation is one of the following two possibilities:
1. Echostar built that in for potential use as a "backdoor" for remote support and trouble-shooting purposes, and Dish may or may not make use of it.
2. Dish built that in for the same purposes, or for some current or future feature.

plfinch

Nov 24, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I don't see how Dish could reliably backdoor access port 443 on most home networks since most consumer router/firewalls are NAT'd - that port will not be accessible on the WAN (Internet) unless the consumer specifically maps and allows it. So the likely possibilities are Dish devices on the same LAN communicating between themselves or a consumer function such as PC streaming and control.

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Probably just a diagnostic connection for Dish to use. When they get a receiver back in they can just plug in a network cable and diagnose what is wrong with the box. Probably a completely automated process.

TG2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 7, 2011
Viginia
Probably just a diagnostic connection for Dish to use. When they get a receiver back in they can just plug in a network cable and diagnose what is wrong with the box. Probably a completely automated process.
I think you're missing the importance of what PLFinch is saying ...

UPnP on a dish receiver opens up ports for Dish to communicate *into* the receiver .. currently the receivers use the 5000 ~ 5100 range ... 5001 ~ 5002 being the default recommended ports for Sling *Box* .. and 5101/5102 for Sling *adatper* ...

Since the receiver itself is *listening* to 443 .... the receiver ... in a UPnP enabled home .. would have to tell the UPnP router to open up 443 on the outside, and direct it at the dish receiver's internal IP ... in my case I can easily look at the list of opened / forwarded ports and see that 443 is not mapped internally ...

The end meaning... is that Dish receivers have this opened ... its *currently* only used internally ... whether it stays that way, or is for some planned future use no one knows (yet).

Dish though ... would have *better* use, using some *other* port higher than 1023 ... since many ISP's block home users from running servers .. the *inbound* blocks would be for blocking 21, 22, 25, 80, 443 ...
ie.. if you wanted to run a server from your home internet IP connection ... you would setup apache or IIS ... and it would listen on port 80 ... ISP's block inbound calls to port 80. Not the same as an outbound call for port 80 ... or a *reply* to a port 80 network call.​
that is.. if they wanted to access the receiver in such a fashion.

Thats why I agree that maybe this is some internal future product ... I would love to think it means the Sling Extender is coming .. or some other technology that would allow *internal* Sling like connections to our receivers to get access to a near HD stream across our networks.. OR that maybe it would allow receiver to receiver connections for me to watch on my 722k ... something that is on my nephew's 722k in the room upstairs.

DishCustomer

Nov 21, 2011
California
Thought I'd update this old thread. Not too long ago my VIP922 died and was replaced. The replacement was okay for a few a week then had random issues like timers disappeared. DVR recordings had no show tiles, only network logos. Program guide wouldn't download. Called Dish tech support. They said the box needed to be reinitialized. They went through the normal, unplug the unit, etc. routine. Then transferred up the tech support ladder and was told they would need to reconfigure the box, which could be done remotely. They said they have the ability to do that 2 ways. Either through the satellite connection or through the network connection. The tech explained if they do this via the satellite connection they don't get feedback from the receiver so they prefer to log into the box via the network connection. More than likely they are using this open port.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)