VIP Receiver Activations

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
We've got 'em. :biggrin
Hold on to them, tight. I maybe, MAYBE did 2 Duo installs a month, until they went on acquisition. Now I get at least one a day and have to talk the customer into a Hopper 2 with a $5.00 bill increase. So far, all of them have gone for the upgrade with no quarrels once I explain the benefits of a Hopper w/sling.

Hold on to them, tight. I maybe, MAYBE did 2 Duo installs a month, until they went on acquisition. Now I get at least one a day and have to talk the customer into a Hopper 2 with a $5.00 bill increase. So far, all of them have gone for the upgrade with no quarrels once I explain the benefits of a Hopper w/sling.

What about the benefit of a couple of Wallies? No DVR fee and if one goes out the other TV still works.

Reactions: TheKrell
What about the benefit of a couple of Wallies? No DVR fee and if one goes out the other TV still works.
Well that would be great if the sales people sold them that way, but, and I apologize for sounding harsh, this is so typically Dish. Particularly the sales team. As soon as there's a shortage of something, all of a sudden there's an overflow of work orders for the receiver that no one has and just my (unasked for) 2¢, but the Hooper Duo is junk. It's waste of time and money. It doesn't fix the issue that many families with Dual Tuners have regarding recording confflicts. It doesn't have all the options that other Hoppers have why they would want to use a DPP LNBF on a Hopper family receiver is beyond me, especially when it's known that A1 and A7 series WA DPP LNB's fail the check switch on Hopper Duos.

As far as the 2 Wallys and no DVR fee, remember, that most of our customers now are older than I am (54). They don't want to be bothered with External Hard Drives, etc and they don't want to lose the "Whole Home DVR" capabilities of a Hopper device, which is a limitation of a 2 Wally setup. As an installer, almost every single New Connect I do now is replacing DirecTV. I don't even ask who they have currently, anymore. I just ask where the DTV Dish is and am very, very rarely told that they have someone else (Yes, Claude Greiner - that's what's happening in the real world, not the made up Anti-Dish world). That means having to run a 2nd cable or replace the existing with a Dual cable which - and I'll be honest - during the hot and busy season, is a spirit killer. I'm getting ready for my 6th day of the week and I already have worked 63 hours - that's over 12 hours a day.

/rant :)

Well that would be great if the sales people sold them that way, but, and I apologize for sounding harsh, this is so typically Dish. Particularly the sales team. As soon as there's a shortage of something, all of a sudden there's an overflow of work orders for the receiver that no one has and just my (unasked for) 2¢, but the Hooper Duo is junk. It's waste of time and money. It doesn't fix the issue that many families with Dual Tuners have regarding recording confflicts. It doesn't have all the options that other Hoppers have why they would want to use a DPP LNBF on a Hopper family receiver is beyond me, especially when it's known that A1 and A7 series WA DPP LNB's fail the check switch on Hopper Duos.

As far as the 2 Wallys and no DVR fee, remember, that most of our customers now are older than I am (54). They don't want to be bothered with External Hard Drives, etc and they don't want to lose the "Whole Home DVR" capabilities of a Hopper device, which is a limitation of a 2 Wally setup. As an installer, almost every single New Connect I do now is replacing DirecTV. I don't even ask who they have currently, anymore. I just ask where the DTV Dish is and am very, very rarely told that they have someone else (Yes, Claude Greiner - that's what's happening in the real world, not the made up Anti-Dish world). That means having to run a 2nd cable or replace the existing with a Dual cable which - and I'll be honest - during the hot and busy season, is a spirit killer. I'm getting ready for my 6th day of the week and I already have worked 63 hours - that's over 12 hours a day.

/rant :)

I 'liked' that post for the part about most people don't want to be bothered with the EHD for multiple reasons, mostly the upfront expense. If a new customer can't get everything for free then they usually don't want it.

We will only install a Hopper Duo on a single TV install because every one we put in with a Joey before we made that rule had a problem with conflicts. If they have more than one TV then they get a Hopper 1, 2 or 3.

So far, all of them have gone for the upgrade with no quarrels once I explain the benefits of a Hopper w/sling.

No Sling with a Duo? :( I have a useless Sling Adapter I wouldn't mind giving away. No Sling Adapter either? :mad:

HipKat: Nice to hear business is good. Hay, sunshine.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

I 'liked' that post for the part about most people don't want to be bothered with the EHD for multiple reasons, mostly the upfront expense. If a new customer can't get everything for free then they usually don't want it.

We will only install a Hopper Duo on a single TV install because every one we put in with a Joey before we made that rule had a problem with conflicts. If they have more than one TV then they get a Hopper 1, 2 or 3.
That is a great policy! I wish Dish was as on top of things as you are

Reactions: JSheridan
As long as it’s 8PSK, MPEG 4 I really don’t see what the big issue is.

Anything QPSK, or MPEG2 I can understand.

IMHO, dish and directv just need to give everyone a Hopper/Genie and be done with it.

End the stupid fees, and If the customer wants to save $5 or $15 turn off the DVR functions

IMHO, dish and directv just need to give everyone a Hopper/Genie and be done with it.

End the stupid fees, and If the customer wants to save $5 or $15 turn off the DVR functions

The Hopper has advantages being able to use the internet, but I still like my 211k, with the outboard HDD, it also has the OTA tuner all in one place. I will not be switching to a Hopper, until I am forced too. The OTA guide has been messed up with Dish, so I bought the Amazon ReCast, with the built in 500GB HDD, that covers everything. Don't need the internet option in a Hopper anyway, as I have the Fire TV that has Dish Anywhere, a Roku, and Chromecast. I wish Dish would have made a Hopper with the same setup that the vip 211k has.

Reactions: Radioguy41
The Hopper has advantages being able to use the internet, but I still like my 211k, with the outboard HDD, it also has the OTA tuner all in one place. I will not be switching to a Hopper, until I am forced too. The OTA guide has been messed up with Dish, so I bought the Amazon ReCast, with the built in 500GB HDD, that covers everything. Don't need the internet option in a Hopper anyway, as I have the Fire TV that has Dish Anywhere, a Roku, and Chromecast. I wish Dish would have made a Hopper with the same setup that the vip 211k has.
97,000 Titles on On-Demand now....!!

I'm with you. I have a smart TV and a smart 4K DVR so also having Internet capabilities on a Hopper at the expense of a missing OTA tuner and an additional DVR fee doesn't do a thing for me. For me, going from a 211K to a Hopper isn't an upgrade, it's a downgrade (plus an additional cost).

Is it possible for the Wally to have both the OTA adapter as well as an external hard drive, or is there only one port for either/or? The VIP211k is a really nice receiver and I would think the Wally would be the closest replacement if the OTA and external hard drive can both be supported at the same time.

Is it possible for the Wally to have both the OTA adapter as well as an external hard drive, or is there only one port for either/or? The VIP211k is a really nice receiver and I would think the Wally would be the closest replacement if the OTA and external hard drive can both be supported at the same time.
The Wally has two USB ports so you can add both.

wally-back-panel-v3-20150710.jpg

Last edited:

I agree with you, the DVR fees, is killing me

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)