Vip211 / L344 : Still No HDMI, Am I the only one

norris_watkins

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 23, 2006
For the past 4 months or so, my receiver stopped giving HDMI.
At that time I was seeing many posts with people complaining about HDMI going dead.
But now it looks like HDMI is working for most of the people.
Mine is still dead.
Is there anything I can do about it ?
Are there others still having this problem ?

Thanks

--nw

It's probably a hardware problem with yours. You'll need to have it replace. I would call Dish and tell them that your HDMI port is not working and hopefully they will send you a replacement.

Hmm that will be very sad. I dont think I can get any support from dish as I bought this receiver myself. As far as I know if you buy your own receiver, you wont get any replacement from dish.

Also I dont understand, It worked perfectly fine for about a year before I noticed that the HDMI has stopped working.

--nw

Hmm that will be very sad. I dont think I can get any support from dish as I bought this receiver myself. As far as I know if you buy your own receiver, you wont get any replacement from dish.

Also I dont understand, It worked perfectly fine for about a year before I noticed that the HDMI has stopped working.

--nw
I bought my 622 from the DishStore. When the HDMI output was proven to be bad, E* replaced it (after about two weeks and a couple of calls to Tech Service - they tried the "software issue" routine with me, but I wasn't buying it!). It could depend on where you bought it, i.e., an authorized retailer vs. from eBay or similar. FWIW, I also have the DHPP but that was probably not a factor since the unit was still within its original 12 mo. (?) warranty. YMMV...

Also FWIW - Many who have the "no HDMI output" only experience the problem after months of trouble-free operation. I believe that in most cases the problem is that one or more of the 19 rather fragile "legs" of the HDMI socket break free from the circuit board. That can happen as a result of wiggling the plug, moving it after a long period of no motion, the weight of the cable hanging from that plug finally breaking a connection, and/or it may somehow be related to heat cycling of the PCB which causes expansion/contraction to eventually take a toll on those connections. The socket is soldered to the PCB and attached rather casually to the rear panel, so any motion of the PCB relative to the chassis can eventually fatigue those connections enough until they break. Search "211 HDMI" in this forum for several threads on this situation. What you have experienced is all too common unfortunately...

There was a DNS update put out a while ago about this problem. Just like bhelms said the update said that the connection to the board was underbuilt and that on installs we ( techs) are to use component not hdmi.

Thanks you very much for the advice :
I added home wiring protection yesterday.
I think I might just be under the warrenty too ( although not sure )
Will wait 31 days and call them for a replacement.

judging from the prevalence of the problem, I wonder if they will claim that they will not replace it as they dont advice hdmi output.

By the way is this problem fixable if I open the box and attempt some soldering ?

--nw

no don't wait, get it replaced ASAP. and just as a note, when myself or other DNS techs in my office do a 211 or 622 install, we don't use HDMI b/c of the problem your having.

Cant thank you enough here :
Somehow I got the idea that I need to wait at least 31 days after joining the home protection plan, before I can ask for a replacement.
Isnt that true ?

--nw

Equipment has a 1 year warranty. My HDMi port on the 411 failed at 11 1/2 months and they replaced it with a 211 no questions asked. Yes, my equiment is owned.

S~

Re: Soldering it yourself - Yes it is possible and has been done by others. However the leads are on a 0.5mm pitch making this a very delicate operation. Potential damage from ESD must be addressed as well. In the case of the 622, the socket is not completely in the clear, adding to the complexity. And of course, any such attempt voids your warranty. All said, you'd be better off returning it...

Cant thank you enough here :
Somehow I got the idea that I need to wait at least 31 days after joining the home protection plan, before I can ask for a replacement.
Isnt that true ?

--nw

No that is NOT true.
I had a problem with a switch on my roof and the tech said that if I bought
the home protection plan they would send out a repair man for $29.00 and
if I did not buy it would cost $49.00. I asked why they would give me protection when I already had the problem he just said they do.

...I asked why they would give me protection when I already had the problem he just said they do.
Apparently that's still the situation but it is one that could change at any time. E* could be losing a good chunk of change with this little "loophole". I currently have the DHPP and every month I question why. Then I recall that I have a 622 (already replaced once) that with its complexity and whole laundry list of potential problems is just sitting there waiting for me to cancel...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts