VIP211 L346 software update

WHEW! I thought I was going crazy!! I knew I had L3,46 Tuesday, and I looked tonight and I had L3.45 back with the old signal meter.

3.46 has been pulled according to an advanced tech gal i talked to today. it was causing the boxes to lose Sat lock , so they are back to 3.45. sent me a new box and i can lock on all 3 birds great now, but I am back to OTA hell again, so I hooked up my internal tuner on my Sammy. not as seamless as using 211 ota, but at least it works.

3.46 has been pulled according to an advanced tech gal i talked to today. it was causing the boxes to lose Sat lock , so they are back to 3.45. sent me a new box and i can lock on all 3 birds great now, but I am back to OTA hell again, so I hooked up my internal tuner on my Sammy. not as seamless as using 211 ota, but at least it works.

E* needs to hire better coders.:eureka

Once I confirmed that my 211 had reverted to 3.45, I rehooked the HDMI and it worked flawlessly all night.

The OTA has always been more sensitive than the tuner on my set-the antenna must carefully tuned in the proper direction for me to get signal-but it usually works without dropouts on all channels.

Yup yesterday when they sent me the software release notes for the 622 L4.06 they mentioned that they had the release notes for the 211 but could not send them to me because the software was no longer out.

Scott:

Will USB drive support add another big number on the front of the 622s software release?

Update numbering is entirely according to Dish's whims, except that they do not repeat numbers over several platforms.

I expect it to be L4.07 or similar.

I have a really basic question....if all the 211 receivers are equal, when E* tests new software inhouse why don't they see these problems that surface before they download it to the subscriber. Are we the beta testers who must report the problems to E* or is there a quality control issue at E*?

I understand what you are saying but...receiver functionality is the same for all like receivers regardless of whether you choose to use the function or not. If you are using the same software in like receivers then when the E* engineers benchtest the new software, shouldn't they be testing full functionality before they release it? Generally when they try to fix one software issue, a different one surfaces. Seems like a quality control issue on the part of E*.

Sure, they limited in time and equipment and setups. But realistically speaking you'll never have a luxury have it in full.
Just think about the DVR (SW, HW and setup and life ) as your PC; it clogging all the time and each months show less performance then before.

I am more and more of the mind that the HD DVR is the most complicated electronic device there is, especially in the home.

It must receive input from a high speed digital stream and convert it to a signal that is modulable for many different types of displays and audio devices. It must also be able to handle corrupt input without that corrupt input crashing the whole system. The 622 does this with three streams of data simultaneously.

It is little wonder that it might need to be rebooted fairly often to clear out some of the garbage that it has accumulated throughout the day. Many of the glitches we see with these receivers are due to corruption in the input stream, not buggy software.

Admittedly there are bugs in the software (it was written by human beings), but many problems I read about do not appear to be rooted there. Many times a lock-up or other malfunction is successfully cleared by either a soft or hard reboot. If the corruption in the data stream is persistent, it will need to be rebooted again soon.

Enough hyperbole, back to grousing.