ViP211k died, replacement has embedded card...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jarheadgreasemonkey

Original poster
Jan 4, 2020
Arkansas
Any way to get my G4 smart card to work in the replacement ViP?

Purchased it from Ebay when my old unit would continually reset.

Dish CS said that if I bought a NEW G4 card that it would override the embedded card, but I don't understand why MY G4 card wouldn't do the same thing.

Thanx much for the help!

Dish CS said that if I bought a NEW G4 card that it would override the embedded card, but I don't understand why MY G4 card wouldn't do the same thing.

Thanx much for the help!

Hi...Welcome to SatGuys!

Why are you trying to use your card instead of the embedded card?

Guess the other thing that I'm confused about is their inability (apparently) to link the internal embedded card to my subscription.

Replacement receiver works, but only for a very few channels.

Thanx much for the help!
Why do you think you need the old G4 card? That card is married to your old receiver and can’t be used in any other receiver. Why does your new receiver not work with the embedded card?

Reactions: TheKrell
Why do you think you need the old G4 card? That card is married to your old receiver and can’t be used in any other receiver. Why does your new receiver not work with the embedded card?
I didn't assume that I did until Dish CS said I did.

I'm probably a bit ignorant here, but isn't the smart card just a physical serial number that Dish can use to verify that you aren't stealing signal?

I was thinking that they would link the smart card number to your account and that would be it.

Much appreciation for the quick replies...

I'm a member of several forums and seems the new guys usually get directed to the "search" function.

if they can’t get the embedded card to work then they should ship you a new one without charge. I’d try a new CSR.
I was thinking the same thing...

I even asked if I could get one from Dish directly and he said to "look for one on Amazon or something"...

Not the most confidence inspiring response.

:confused:

I even asked if I could get one from Dish directly and he said to "look for one on Amazon or something"...

Yeah...that's definitely grounds to call back and try a different CSR. We call it "CSR Roulette" for a reason. Keep calling till you get someone that knows what they are doing. :)

Reactions: pattykay and HipKat
Yeah...that's definitely grounds to call back and try a different CSR. We call it "CSR Roulette" for a reason. Keep calling till you get someone that knows what they are doing. :)
I'll jump back on with them after supper.

Just out of curiosity, better responses from online chat or should I call in person?

I was thinking the same thing...

:confused:
Whoa, who were you talking to actually. It sounds like you weren’t talking to Dish. I wonder if this receiver you bought on Ebay has a balance on it or it is a leased receiver. Dish won’t activate it if either of those are the case.

Whoa, who were you talking to actually. It sounds like you weren’t talking to Dish. I wonder if this receiver you bought on Ebay has a balance on it or it is a leased receiver. Dish won’t activate it if either of those are the case.
Got escalated to "advanced customer support" on Dish's online chat support twice. Neither CSR mentioned anything about the receiver having a balance or being leased.

First CS seemed to think it was a cable issue, but I let her know that when my old receiver would power up that all channels would work fine.

Second CS was the guy who said to get a new G4 card... somewhere.

Are you trying to use the G4 card from your old receiver? That won't work..They won't reassign a smartcard from one receiver to another..They told you that you need a "New" smartcard..They can activate a new Dish Network supplied card not a used one.Sounds like you got a bad receiver from eBay if it won't work with the embedded smartcard.What message you getting with the embedded card? Did you run a checkswitch with the new receiver?

Are you trying to use the G4 card from your old receiver? That won't work..They won't reassign a smartcard from one receiver to another..They told you that you need a "New" smartcard..They can activate a new Dish Network supplied card not a used one
Ok. So what's a trusted source for the new G4 card if Dish says they can't supply one.

Another question...

If I can't get this issue resolved, can I buy the Hopper and get it to work just like my ViP did?

I don't need any HDD services or the like.

Are you saying that you would never record anything or use the DVR features? If so, you might be better off looking into a "Wally" receiver instead of the Hoppers. A Wally is the current non-DVR model, more modern version of the 211.

Are you saying that you would never record anything or use the DVR features? If so, you might be better off looking into a "Wally" receiver instead of the Hoppers. A Wally is the current non-DVR model, more modern version of the 211.
I wouldn't...

So maybe the Wally is the way I need to go if I can't get this ViP working...

On with Dish at the moment...

Wow DWS44 CSR roulette worked!

dishnetwork said:
John Paul_OPID_UKI,

You will receive the it after 1 - 2 business days and once delivered, you only need to contact us back to change your package to the flex pack/channel packs.
[automerge]1578180203[/automerge]
I'll report back once I've got the card and let you guys know if it's working.

Thanx so much for all the help.

Thanx much for the help!
You have to let the CSR, transfer you to advance tech support, that department can unpair and pair to receiver, done a 222k today and vip222 about 3 wks. ago

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)