VIP211K versus VIP612DVR - differences

MikeInAlaska

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Wasilla, AK
I have been running a VIP211K on a 129W only install without any problems. I get 30 or so HD channels and it operates rock solid. I have a single RG6 running from the DishPro LNB directly to the single input on the receiver.

Today I picked up a 612DVR and tried to hook the single existing RG6 from the DishPro LNB into the DPP Separator to feed both tuners. I take it this doesn't work?

So I ran a 2nd RG6 out to the 2nd port on the LNB and gave each 612 tuner a straight connection to the LNB. Check Switch said both tuner 1 and tuner 2 were talking to 129W.

But once finished it just goes to "aquiring satellite" and then 061 "Searching for Information..." and hangs there.

Also, point dish acts funny on the 612 --

With the VIP211K the point dish is solid full time lock with 129W identified.

With the VIP612DVR, the signal will come and go every few seconds, and it much more reluctantly identifies the satellite as 129W. The signal is strong when it is there, then it disappears.

In summary:

WORKS GREAT:
DishPro LNB port 1 ---------------------------- VIP211K
DishPro LNB port 2 (not connected)

WONT WORK:
DishPro LNB port 1 ---------------------------- VIP612DVR Tuner 1
DishPro LNB port 2 -----------------------------VIP612DVR Tuner 2

WONT WORK EITHER:
DishPro LNB port 1 ----------------------------- DPP Separator === 612 Tuner 1 and 2
DishPro LNB port 2 (not connected)

What gives? Do I need a DP33 switch to make this work? Cant a 612 be directly wired to a DP LNB>?

Thanks a million.
Mike

The separator won't work with a DishPro (not plus) LNB. However, your 2nd configuration should have worked. What kind of error did you get?

The switch test says its a "DP Dual" and reception verified on both tuners.

The box then goes to "Acquiring Satellites" and then to warning 061 - vital program info will be downloaded into your receiver, do not disturb/turn off box" and it stays there. The progress bar zooms across until about 80% complete and then it stays put for 10 minutes perhaps before repeating itself over... over...

Could this information be absent from 129? My VIP211K woke up and worked in the exact same circumstances. Should I hook it up to 119 long enough to get some update?

So I hooked up the 612 to a 119 feed for a bit, it immediately sailed past that place where it was stuck. Obviously some things the DVR requires are on 119 only. (Well, better said, they aren't on 129.) However, the box did the download, said it was restarting, said it was programming its memory, then a few seconds later went to 061 BOOT RECOVERY on a really crude looking screen. I think the box is hosed.

My final findings

1) my VIP211K gets everything it needs off 129W alone. Program guide, the box update, it all worked.

2) the DVR612 requires something off 119W, definitely the box update, not sure if the extended guide has to come from there as well

3) Radio Shack took the box back without a problem, kudos to them!

4) the DVR612 should be avoided, based on what happened

> So how much guide data do you get with your 211k only spotting 129?

looks like about ~~ 270 channels in the guide, many duplicates and some triplicates (HBO etc on 3 channels each) I am silver package plus HD and 147 of the channels are enabled for me. Almost all are HD I think.