VIP222 - Intermittant nightly loss of signal

Martimus

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
I'm having one of those amazingly exasperating intermittant problems and was wondering if someone could offer me some advise.

Nightly (and this only seems to happen at night), I have intermittent issues with only one of my two receivers (VIP222) experiencing a "Complete loss of signal". Normally it displays "Complete loss of signal" for a few minutes and during this time it will not allow me to change to a different channel. When this happens the error usually affects a random number of my available channels, and seems to be different each time the problem occurs. My other receiver does not experience this problem and works fine during these random outages. I've tried rebooting the receiver and sometimes it resolves the problem but typically it encounters the exact same problem once the reboot has completed. I have clear line of sight to the sky (no trees, no buildings)

I had local Dish techs out here a couple of months ago, they replaced my two DPP dishs with a 1000.2 dish, aimed the new dish, installed a new ground bar, and changed out all of the RG6 ends to the ones with blue connectors.

For grins I hooked up my FS1 meter, and verified that my dish seems to be pointed correctly and the signal is maximized.

This is getting seriously frustrating! Anyone have any ideas what to do next?
:confused:

My setup:
Antenna - Dish 1000.2
OTA Ant - Not used on either receiver.
Receivers - DVR522 (connected to port 1 on the ground bar)
VIP222 (connected to port 2 on the ground bar)
Cabling - RG6 with blue connectors.

you could replace the separators cheap option,but I have a feeling it may be the internal switch of the 1000.2 lnb.Seems to be quite a few customers having that issue.Try disconnecting the 522 and see if the issue continues.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've got one spare separator so I might just try placing that.

Something I just noticed that seems rather odd is that when I go into Menu-6-1-1 the settings (transponder/satellite) don't seem to stay on the same settings. Earlier the settings are at transponder 8, satellite 119. A little while ago I lost signal, went into menu-6-1-1 and found the settings had changed to something like transponder 18, satellite 129. A couple of minutes ago I checked again and the settings are now at 31, satellite 129. Why would the receiver just arbitrarily change the settings? Or is the internal switch in the D1000.2 LNB doing this?

Thanks for the suggestions! I've got one spare separator so I might just try placing that.

Something I just noticed that seems rather odd is that when I go into Menu-6-1-1 the settings (transponder/satellite) don't seem to stay on the same settings. Earlier the settings are at transponder 8, satellite 119. A little while ago I lost signal, went into menu-6-1-1 and found the settings had changed to something like transponder 18, satellite 129. A couple of minutes ago I checked again and the settings are now at 31, satellite 129. Why would the receiver just arbitrarily change the settings? Or is the internal switch in the D1000.2 LNB doing this?

I believe it depends on which channel the tuner is "tuned" to when you go to point dish. For instance, if you are tuned to Channel X and that channel is located on Sat 110 tp 12, the point dish menu should reflect that. That has been my experience anyway.

I still believe its the lnb internal switch going bad.If you have the protection plan it would be $15 to schedule a dish installer to come and replace the lnb and they could also check all the usual suspects.Contact one of our dirt (dish internet response team) members they will be able to help you out.

RayC,MAttG,MaryB,TonyT I know I'm forgetting some of the others..anyway any of those 4 members should be able to help.

I still believe its the lnb internal switch going bad.If you have the protection plan it would be $15 to schedule a dish installer to come and replace the lnb and they could also check all the usual suspects.Contact one of our dirt (dish internet response team) members they will be able to help you out.

RayC,MAttG,MaryB,TonyT I know I'm forgetting some of the others..anyway any of those 4 members should be able to help.

It does sound like a problem with the LNB (you forgot the new guy ZachS :p, there are actually quite a bit of DIRT members).

To the OP: if you send me a PM with a phone number or account number, I can get you details about having a tech come out.

Well just to close things out on my request, I made a couple of changes today that seem to have resolved my issue:

1. I replaced the LNB on my Dish 1000.2 antenna.
2. I swapped out my VIP222 with a brand new VIP211k that I got from a friend (never used).

Between the two I seem to be having improved signal reliability and a much better picture. Woot! Thanks all!

Gives me the urge to now look at upgrading my DVR522. So I guess now I've gotta make a choice, VIP722k or VIP922. Hmm... I love having options! :D

Well just to close things out on my request, I made a couple of changes today that seem to have resolved my issue:

1. I replaced the LNB on my Dish 1000.2 antenna.
2. I swapped out my VIP222 with a brand new VIP211k that I got from a friend (never used).

Between the two I seem to be having improved signal reliability and a much better picture. Woot! Thanks all!

Gives me the urge to now look at upgrading my DVR522. So I guess now I've gotta make a choice, VIP722k or VIP922. Hmm... I love having options! :D

If you had done 1 at a time you would've know for sure what the problem was. Now if it comes back you will have to chase it out again. But at least you have working syst now.

I have a pretty good idea which step resolved the problem. Unless I'm mistaken the issue is with my soon-to-be-former VIP222. I probably ought to swap back the old LNB but may wait till the weather cools down a bit. The high temp during the day here is in the 110's... and I'm both too old and too lazy to be monkeying with the dish in this kind of heat!

I've been having a similar problem, only it's mostly a Partial Signal Loss screen and occasionally the Total Loss screen. Happened last weekend and then again yesterday while the wife was watching 144. With the partial loss all I have to do is pres Guide and then Live TV. No real loss of signal on the viewed channel since I can rewind and there is no loss. Mostly this has been on my 722. I did get at least one Signal Loss on my 211.

The partial signal loss can be from the OTA tuner being on a station that drops out or has multipath, leave the OTA tuner on the strongest, most stable station you have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)