VIP222 Problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stumpie

Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Indiana
I was just wondering if anybody else was having problems with the vip222 . We are on our 3rd box in two weeks . 1st 222 the color kept fading in and out . 2nd 222 couldn't lock on to the satellite . 3rd 222 we can't watch HD programming without the picture freezing for a split second several times a minute.
We also have a VIP622 and it has worked flawlessly .

Try swapping the receivers and see if it works in the other room. If it does, you might have a bad cable or maybe a defective ground block or if there is a barrel in that one cable, that could be bad. I hope this helps.

I was just wondering if anybody else was having problems with the vip222 . We are on our 3rd box in two weeks . 1st 222 the color kept fading in and out . 2nd 222 couldn't lock on to the satellite . 3rd 222 we can't watch HD programming without the picture freezing for a split second several times a minute.
We also have a VIP622 and it has worked flawlessly .

Yea. I just got one yesturday (Dishin' it up) from a 211. Same thing. The color keeps fading in and out or flashes red, green. It's crazy. I tried switching cables, tried switching inputs on the TV. DVD, antenna all look fine so it's not the Tv.

Yea. I just got one yesturday (Dishin' it up) from a 211. Same thing. The color keeps fading in and out or flashes red, green. It's crazy. I tried switching cables, tried switching inputs on the TV. DVD, antenna all look fine so it's not the Tv.

Sorry to here you having problems with the color on the 222 also . But I'm glad to here it .. I was beginning to think I was crazy. Does the color fade in and out real fast ? Can you see it do it even better while looking at the guide ?
If you don't mind would you tune into channel 9435 Starz HD (if you have it ) and see if the screen freezes all the time ?? That is what our current 222 is doing . Thanks ..

The color problem is also the video in general pulsating between a ghost image and then corrected several times a second: fuzzy jitter; then still--pulsating like it's out of phase. And yes, it is far easier to observe with the EPG displayed, but I have only observed this problem via the composite and the RF outputs for both TV1 and TV2, but not via S-video for at least a long time and never via HDMI. This same problem also existed on my first ViP222. I have found that by switching to dual mode, than back to single mode, it brings temporary relief from the problems described above. The first 222 was RMA for a different reason.

However, the HDMI has its own problems. The HDMI seems fine until more than a few buttons are pushed on the remote, meaning checking out the EPG, scrolling and banner display and PIP use. In other words, using the common functions the box is supposed to perform while viewing TV. One likes to scroll around the guide and see what's coming and invoke PIP and swap and all, but once you start demanding this from the 222, the HDMI output displays flashes of white streaks and will even lose all video and audio for a few seconds. Then video and sound reappears. But wait, more streaks and another loss and reappearance of video and audio, sometimes doing this 3 times in one minuet. Once it is "left alone" and allowed to go through its hissy-fit and not asked to do anything but display the content, it seems to fix itself. But try using the box or menus again, and you will sit through the same problems as described above. This was the case with my first 222, as well. I have a feeling this is common among virtually all 222's.

It is not right that we can't use the guide and scroll and use PIP and swap extensively, as we do on the 625, and have the HDMI act-up. IMHO this sounds like Dish has some serious software downloads to make.

Also, sometimes when I press the banner browse, the PIP pops-up for just a fraction of a second. Then it does the same thing when I cancel banner browse or invoke another display, PIP popping on, then off.

One day when I really have time, I shall write my take and a brief review of the 222.

Last edited:
Mine does it an S-Video, composite (single video cable) and rf. The color flashes like crazy and really goes nuts when red comes on the screen. Since I have a 4:3 HDTV (SONY), we use the standard def output to fill up the screen if it's not a high def channel. The picture also looks real soft. It hasn't been doing it with the component (HD) output, and I"m not using the HDMI. TV only had DVI and I have an up convert DVD on it. Does it on TV2 also. Oh yea, if you use the TV2 remote, it is very, very, very slow. Actually takes about 15 seconds to change the channel.

Sorry can't check out Starz HD. Don't have any Movie channels.

I paid $119 to upgrade to this from a perfectly good 211. Starting to really regret my decision. Contractor is going to bring a new one out tomorrow.... wish me luck.

I have had alot of problems with the 222 lately. I went on a service call the other day where the receiver kept locking up, kept losing signal, etc. The customer told me it was his second 222, making the one I replaced it with his 3rd in 3 weeks. Anyone else notice the signal meter locks at 125 when you know damn well the signal strength on a dual tuner NEVER gets that high.

I have had alot of problems with the 222 lately. I went on a service call the other day where the receiver kept locking up, kept losing signal, etc. The customer told me it was his second 222, making the one I replaced it with his 3rd in 3 weeks. Anyone else notice the signal meter locks at 125 when you know damn well the signal strength on a dual tuner NEVER gets that high.

Tech came and brought out the second vip222 last night. Having the same color problems with this one. It started about two hours after he left (appt was 12-5, he didn't show until 8:30 pm).

I started fooling around and noticed that, in the installation menu, dual mode, if I switch it from dual mode output to single mode the color problem goes away for about 30 minutes, then comes back. Switch it back the other way and it will clear up again for 30 minutes. (If the tuner is set for single mode [front panel], the output can be changed so that there is no signal coming out for TV2 [on screen menu].)

This only happens on the SD output (S-Video, Composite or RF) for TV1. The Component (HD) output seems un-affected. I thought the chances of getting two bad receivers were slim, but I"m thinking maybe I do based on what I'm reading above. Or, maybe there is an inherent flaw on them and not noticed very much since most people don't use the SD output on these.

My wife is about to skin me over this. She hates all this tech stuff anyway. Watching the colors constantly flash and chance colors makes her sick to her stomach.

Tech came and brought out the second vip222 last night. Having the same color problems with this one. It started about two hours after he left (appt was 12-5, he didn't show until 8:30 pm).

I started fooling around and noticed that, in the installation menu, dual mode, if I switch it from dual mode output to single mode the color problem goes away for about 30 minutes, then comes back. Switch it back the other way and it will clear up again for 30 minutes. (If the tuner is set for single mode [front panel], the output can be changed so that there is no signal coming out for TV2 [on screen menu].)

This only happens on the SD output (S-Video, Composite or RF) for TV1. The Component (HD) output seems un-affected. I thought the chances of getting two bad receivers were slim, but I"m thinking maybe I do based on what I'm reading above. Or, maybe there is an inherent flaw on them and not noticed very much since most people don't use the SD output on these.

My wife is about to skin me over this. She hates all this tech stuff anyway. Watching the colors constantly flash and chance colors makes her sick to her stomach.

Then why not just use the component connections. They are not just for HD they will send SD and work great for me in SD.

Then why not just use the component connections. They are not just for HD they will send SD and work great for me in SD.

The short answer. I have a 4:3 HD set. It has auto compression on the HD inputs that changes the aspect to 16:9 when the signal coming in is 720P or 1080i. When we are watching a non HD channel, we watch it on an SD input, using the SD output of the 222 so it fills up the entire screen. Other wise, the picture is about half the size of the screen. I know it sounds stupid, but it's keeps peace with the wife.

Update ,,

So far this 3rd 222 is doing very well . No color problems like the 1st one , Stays locked on satellite ( 2nd 222 wouldn't ) ... The only problem we are having is mainly on channel 9435 Satrz HD ..On this channel the picture freezes then catches up . It happens a lot but doesn't affect the sound. I called Dish and the tech thought the satellite signal was to low on sat 129 and might be causing the problem .. She had me try different transponders while on 129 and the signal was always around 85 to 90 . It was raining that day . The next day it was partly cloudy outside (nice day) so I checked the signal ,, I was on transponder 30 and the signal was 91 ...Is this a low signal ???

We have a tech coming out this sun morning ,,, Question ,, When the tech comes Sunday what signal strength should I expect ? Our receivers get satellites 119 - 110 - 129 . We live in east central Indiana .

Thanks ,,,,

Besides, a new receiver that I shelled $119 to upgrade and pay $$ for each month, should work like it's suppose to.... or am I asking too much!

Video of color problem with vip222

Here is a link to a video I posted on U-Tube of the problem I'm having with my vip222, with the color fluctuations.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

In the video, I am able to change a setting in the menu that stops the problem, but it come back in between 5 and 30 minutes.

Any thoughts??? It is getting worse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts