Vip222K Glitch

larry2506

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Pennsylvania
Long-time Dish customer; just upgraded to HDTV with a Vip222K.

I usually keep it in Single mode (my other TV is also connected to a 301 on a different dish) but whenever I change the Vip222K to Dual Mode, the picture on TV 1 freezes, although the sound continues. The only way to fix the issue is to reset, but upon reboot the same thing happens if I change the Mode.

Also, I decided to connect the TV 2 video and audio outputs on the back of the receiver to a DVD recorder, so I could watch one program and record another. I get sound, but no picture. Disconnected the TV distribution coax (that delivers the signal to TV 2) and still no joy.

Am I doing something wrong? This is the second 222K I've had and it has the same issues as the first.

Many thanks.

are you sure the 222k has single/dual mode? the 322 does not. and for what possible reason would you want to put a 222k in single mode? dont know about the freezing.did you try the red/white/yellow video out of tv1 to your recorder, just for kicks, to see if that works?your inputs on the recorder are standard red/white/yellow? in both cases it seems like you have something hooked up wrong. but im going to look at a 222k tommorrow. i cant belive ive seen hundreds of these and never seen the mode button, if there is one.

TV 1 is connected to the 222k (yes, it is single/dual mode) via HDMI.

TV 2 is connected via the TV distribution output.

I also have the unused RCA outputs from the TV 1 tuner plugged into the DVD recorder, and it works great.

Hooking the unused RCA outputs from the TV 2 tuner into the DVD recorder (the unit has two sets of inputs; doesn't matter which one I use) results in left and right audio, but no video.

I have used two different sets of cables. Have also disconnected the TV distribution output and still no picture.

And there is, in fact, a mode button; it's on the front panel, behind the right-side door.

Thanks for the reply. I'll continue to experiment.

Last edited:
You could have a bad connection for the video out on the circuit board. It's also possible that your DVD recorder is responding to a Macrovision-type signal that might be present on the channel you're trying to record. Is the video absent (makes no difference whether it's plugged in or not) or is it blank (video sync is present, just no watchable video)? If you try a local TV station or one of the PSA channels does it behave the same way?

I also have the unused RCA outputs from the TV 1 tuner plugged into the DVD recorder, and it works great.

Hooking the unused RCA outputs from the TV 2 tuner into the DVD recorder (the unit has two sets of inputs; doesn't matter which one I use) results in left and right audio, but no video.

I have used two different sets of cables.
Ah, I have to ask this even if you think it's obvious. You disconnected the cables to TV1 when you plugged in your second set to the TV2 outputs, did you not? If there is only one set going to your DVD recorder, try bringing in another TV from somewhere and plug that into your TV2 outputs. Does the TV work OK?

Ah, I have to ask this even if you think it's obvious. You disconnected the cables to TV1 when you plugged in your second set to the TV2 outputs, did you not? If there is only one set going to your DVD recorder, try bringing in another TV from somewhere and plug that into your TV2 outputs. Does the TV work OK?

I didn't disconnect anything when I connected the TV 2 output to the DVD recorder RCA inputs. Well, I did one time: took loose the TV distribution cable, which is currently feeding TV 2. The installer said that TV 2 would work with either the coax or the RCA outputs, but not both. But, I can view TV 1 tuner via HDMI on my set, and see it via the TV 1 outputs (yellow, red and white) for the other input of the DVD recorder. I tried outputting TV 2 RCA outs to that input of the DVD burner, but again: left and right audio, no video (gray screen).

I'll experiment some more tomorrow and report back. Thanks for the replies.

This should all work: that receiver is designed to send audio and video to TV 2 via the RCA outs for that tuner, and it doesn't work. Got to be a reason, unless I got two funky 222k's in a row.

Last edited:
The installer said that TV 2 would work with either the coax or the RCA outputs, but not both.
That is NOT TRUE! All outputs are active simultaneously. You can't even truly turn them off (if they are like my other Dish receivers) since the screensaver is displayed when the receiver is in standby. This messes up automatic switches which look for a video signal showing up in order to figure out what input to select. No video coming on (because it's always on) = no automatic switching to that source.

What I was really getting at was this. You mentioned your DVD recorder has two inputs, and also that one of these was formerly connected to TV1. Did you leave that connected while connecting up TV2? If so, that could be the source of your problem since TV1 and TV2 are always on and putting out a signal.

PROBLEM SOLVED! :)

There is a setting for the two video/audio inputs on the DVD recorder, that lets you choose from using the S-Video in, or the regular (yellow plug) video in. I had the rear panel setting on regular, but the front on S-Video (was using that with my cable box). I changed the setting, and now TV2 video showed up on the screen.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts