VIP522:is it possible to run unencrypted cable into OTA coax input?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

waikikiTed

Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
VIP622:is it possible to run unencrypted cable into OTA coax input?

Wondr if this is possible...installer said no and tried with diplexers but the box does state that the coax input is "coax/cable".

Can I run my basic cable straight coax into the 622's OTA coax input? I subscribe to the HD Platinum package and get everything but I have to admit there is a gross fascination with the roulette wheel of seeing what's piping thru the unencrypted HD cable feed at times!

I know I can just run it into the TVs built in HD tuner, but would't mind keping the on the HDMI input all the time.

Thanks for the reply. Coming back to DISH after a long hiatus...I love this place!!!!

-Ted

Last edited:
This will only work if your cable feed is modulating 8VSB on broadcast UHF frequencies. Most cable systems are using QAM modulation and cable-only frequency assignments.

Darn...... Thanks for the reply!

May I ask then why is that coax input on the back of 622 labeled with "CABLE"? What is the purpose of it?

Thinking of 811 software what was modded for support QAM; I bet 622 ( using same tuner chips as 811 ) could have new software for tune to unencrypted cable channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts