vip612 internal hard drive replacement

linuxlad

Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
usa
Hi, i have a list of approved internal hard drives for vip612, my question is that although the model(s) with a "-57" suffix preceding the model number like "WD3200AAJS-57" will definitely work; is it possible to replace it with a version which does not include the "-57" after the model number?, it would just be a "WD3200AAJS". Would this work or must it have the -57?

I believe the -57 is necessary. But if you already have the drive, I suggest trying it (if it's your receiver) and see if it works.

Hi, i have a list of approved internal hard drives for vip612, my question is that although the model(s) with a "-57" suffix preceding the model number like "WD3200AAJS-57" will definitely work; is it possible to replace it with a version which does not include the "-57" after the model number?, it would just be a "WD3200AAJS". Would this work or must it have the -57?

I just replaced a hitachi drive in a 722k with a seagate drive ST3500312CS.
I think this may be on the compatibility list for 612's also. If so, here is the ebay link where I got mine for $20.

Seagate Pipeline HD 500GB 5900RPM 8MB Cache SATA2 3.5" Hard Drive -ST3500312CS 763649021682 | eBay

Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks for the replies, i found that some of the other models on the list are a better option and are very cheap even with a one-year warranty, for example the 500gb is only $28.00(with a 1-year warrant) and it is on the approved list.
The models with -57 are now extremely rare and are too expensive so I will stay clear of them in the future, however, dish just offered me a 1:1 replacement at no cost regardless that i own this receiver so I will be required to return this one to them when the replacement arrives. I'm glad i was able to save my recordings(49) after the first time seeing the hard disk failure notification, but i was not so lucky five years ago when the previous drive completely just died, this is actually a replacement drive that i purchased at the time for around $30.00. Also just found out that the vip612 does not have the capability like the 211 to save scheduled timers directly to an external drive(bummer), I will have to save them to the external after just a few recordings and keep a log of them, seeing as to these DVR hard drives are prone to failure every so often.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)