Vip622 and USB port

neftv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
PA USA
I have a 622 and in the past couple of months I seen in my billing statement pay $39.95 and activate your usb port to use an external drive bla bla bla.
I was wondering if its worth it? What can I do with the external drive? I like to offload a bunch of shows and burn to DVD for my own use and doing that would eliminate a couple of transcoding steps. Are these files MPEG2 TS files? I am just curious what everyone else is doing with the USB port? Thanks.

You can copy your recordings from the receiver to the USB drive and play them back from the USB drive but you CAN'T burn the recordings to a DVD. The recordings are encrypted.

Was the one time fee worth it to activate external USB storage? Absolutely, for me.

If you want to burn DVDs, hook a burner up to the TV2 outputs. DVDs are SD anyway. Record while you play the program.

Was the one time fee worth it to activate external USB storage? Absolutely, for me.

If you want to burn DVDs, hook a burner up to the TV2 outputs. DVDs are SD anyway. Record while you play the program.

I wondered about that and I wanted to avoid the two hop transcoding. From PVR TV2 output is analog then back to digital in a DVD Burner makes no sense. Anytime you have a media change you lessen the quality , digital to analog to digital in this aspect. Thats why I asked why not get the digital file directly but if its encrypted then its not worth it for me to activate the usb port. Oh well.

Blame "Big Media". They don't want you to be able to get your hands on the digital bits.

I don't want to start on that. I just have to say that someone has to teach dish network that normal program video resolution is 720x480 and I know that DVB S is actually 704x480 and if the res was close to that there would be a big difference in quality there as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts