vip622 certain channels dont quite fit screen?????

maverick96

Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
I have the vip622 receiver and have noticed on certain channels like FX for example even when putting the picture in stretch mode it leaves like a half inch gap on the left side of my picture that is just black, like the picture ends but falls short of filling my entire screen!!!! There are other channels that do the same and then there are a lot of channels that have no problem at all. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

But - maverick96 says he has this even in stretch mode - something else is up??

My advice - never use strech mode - live with the vertical bars on SD channels - why would you want to purposely distort your TV's picture??

feh... I use stretch modes for the SD stuff, but I currently have a 510 hooked to my 62" DLP, so the TV does the work (and does it well, IMHO). So, if stretch mode is OK for you, use it. Now, why only certain chanels aren't working, that's strange. Is it all SD channels that have the problem, or do some work and others have the black bar to the side? How do you have your 622 connected to your TV, and what type of TV do you have? Is the 622 doing the stretch mode thing on 4:3 material, or does your TV?

Check TV Manual

You may want to check in the Users Manual for the TV. I have a Hitachi 50" LCD. I am pretty sure it has the ability to adjust the position of the picture on the screen thru the setup menu on the TV. I have never had to use this but the TV has the option.

Many newer TVs have various options for adjusting the picture size when the signal is coming through a composite or S-Vid connection. Even the 942 and 622 can do this as long as you run a 2nd (composite or S-Vid) connection to your TV. That way you only have to switch inputs when watching SD vs HD.

Some of these TV screen adjustment modes are quit good - far better than the format adjustments allowed on the Dish receivers.

Mine (and many others) can do a combination zoom / stretch that shows very little distortion and retains 90% of the picture. But of course that's a subjective call and everyone sees things a little different.

I also find the picture quality itself for SD looks better through a S-Vid connection than a digital connection. Plus you can usually set seperate pitcure settings for each tv input rather than trying to find a happy medium on the digital connection that works for both HD & SD.

you know what it is guys the stretch mode does widen the picture but I have noticed on some of the sd channels the picture almost looks just a bit crooked aon the far right of my picture there is like a half inch gap between the end of the picture and the end of my screen. is there a way on the 622 to set it so my tv will do the stretching and the box will not? right now it seems as if the box overrides the tv in terms of aspect ratio adjustment. I have the new sony 50 lcos lcd projection television thanks!!!

Vertical and Horizontal Centering

maverick96
I looked at a Sony users manual on line and in the screen setup there are adjustments for vertical and horizontal centering. I do not know your model #, but you should be able to find the by searching the onscreen menu or checking in your owners manual. This could be your problem. If the horizontal is not centered on your screen the picture could be off screen on the left causing the stretched picture not to center. As for using the TV stretch verses the E* receiver, all you need to do is use the * key when in SD and select normal mode. Your E* receiver will then send a 4:3 format and you can use the TVs stretch modes. Hope this helps.

Use the zoom picture mode on the 622 when watching FX widescreen shows ie Rescue Me and it will fill the screen with very little cut off. I don't know why SD channels broadcast widescreen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)