VIP622 - Confirmed and Rumoured New Features

techfan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
theres lots of posts relating to this receiver, but can we start something that keeps all the details together regarding new features for this box. things such as what the USB is going to be used for, the ethernet.. VOD? will it also be used for home networking? Anything confirmed or rumoured would be great.

thanks.

Well pretty much anything of interest was confirmed at the Retailer summit. Confirmed uses:

USB: Used for Pocket Dish & external hard disk (they plan on locking this to the particular Dish receiver)
Network: Video on Demand features

Rumors (or wish list really):

Network: Transfer/sharing of programs over home network. Not going to happen as it's already been stated by Dish that the MPAA does not like that idea.

nsafreak said:
USB: Used for Pocket Dish & external hard disk (they plan on locking this to the particular Dish receiver)

Not true. Scott verified that they will be tied to a person's account not receiver, so if you have two boxes you could watch programs on any of them by moving the USB Drive.

nsafreak said:
Incorrect. If you have 3 622's in your house you will be able to move the drive around to use on all 3 622's (and view all programming from the drive) however bring it to a friends 622 and it will not work. Its all dont by account and not by receiver.

It was reported from other sites, groups:

Regarding VOD on 320 GB disk: VOD partition took 100 GB, for your recordings allocated 200 GB, rest of 20 GB dedicated to three Linux partitions holding logs, catalogs, lost+found, swap, etc.

Smith said:

Regarding VOD on 320 GB disk: VOD partition took 100 GB, for your recordings allocated 200 GB, rest of 20 GB dedicated to three Linux partitions holding logs, catalogs, lost+found, swap, etc.
It would be so simple to add a feature to allocate the 100GB that's reserved for VOD to the 200GB for regular programming if you don't care about VOD and have no phone line hooked up to the 622 like me. That's like buying a 100GB USB drive for the 622.

Really? Wow! How does that compare to the 942? I know that it has a 250 GB drive, but I'm not sure how much is dedicated to the Linux partitions etc. Any idea?

ralfyguy said:
It would be so simple to add a feature to allocate the 100GB that's reserved for VOD to the 200GB for regular programming if you don't care about VOD and have no phone line hooked up to the 622 like me. That's like buying a 100GB USB drive for the 622.
Of course, but that's not the E* way. They want THEIR movies in the box for their stupid restricted VOD.

It is a huge waste.

Come on, how many people wth HD/HT setups want to watch movies in SD and 2 channel sound?

Be realistic.

That's what I'm saying. for a Dollar more I can rent the DVD and at least have Dolby Digital/DTS and a 480p picture that is by far better than the SD satellite picture. If this was full rez HDTV with Dolby/DTS, then we could talk about it.

where'd you get the info from

Where did you get this info from?

Smith said:

when when when

Any one have any idea when the secondary usb drives will be allowed? I am really looking forward to being able to expand how much HD I can record.

SimpleSimon said:
Of course, but that's not the E* way. They want THEIR movies in the box for their stupid restricted VOD.

The cable companies tell us we want to watch movies on our schedule. E* has to compete with that somehow. Granted, it would be very nice to be able to disable it if you dont want to use that feature.

If they are going to allow external USB drives to be used with other VIP units on your account, I don't understand why they will not allow you to network receivers on your account.

I wonder if an external USB drive on a VIP 211 will turn that unit into a single-tuner DVR? THAT might be a very useful feature!

Obvoiously, the original posters request will never happen in an open thread.

Smith said:

These number's don't really make sense.

320-100 = 220. This is less then the 921, but the 622 holds 5 more hours of HD (25 vs 30).

Over the air is generally 10 gig/hour -> so, 30 hours would require 300 gig.

I guess it's possible they are assuming mpeg4, but I sure hope not.

Plus, 100 gb is a rediculous amount of storage for std-def VOD.

If the number are correct, I'd RELLY like that 100 gig back.

Last edited:
Scott Greczkowski said:
Incorrect. If you have 3 622's in your house you will be able to move the drive around to use on all 3 622's (and view all programming from the drive) however bring it to a friends 622 and it will not work. Its all dont by account and not by receiver.

Scott, I really hope this is all true, but I also thought I get to archive from my 921 to DVHS (which was also seen working in beta).

I'll believe it when I see it.