ViP622 DVR Remote 1 and 2 question

LittleDick

Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
Using a ViP622 DVR as a dual tuner, I use Remote 1 and would like to setup Remote 2 so my wife can switch channels when I dose off.

Did a forum search, but couldn't find anything. The tech that setup our equipment said it couldn't be done.

When the 622 is in dual user mode, tv1 is ir only. UHF would work tv2. Don't think I'm understanding exactly what you are trying to do. Can you give complete explanation of exactly what you want and include setup, especially preferences.

Yes you can use the other remote from the 942, just have to set it to the same remote address as the remote for the 622. They may already be the same if they are still set to what they were fro, the factory.

It looks like you need 2 "DishPro IR Remotes" so that 2 people can control TV1 (when in Dual mode) from 2 recliners, and have solved your problem by using a "942 Remote 1" from another receiver.

However....
When the 622 is in dual user mode, tv1 is ir only.
This is not completely true. The ViP 622 ships with 2 remotes, and the Green TV1 Remote is only IR; however, TV1 can be programmed to operate as IR/UHF PRO by using a "Green TV1 UHF PRO Remote Key" on a "6.3 IR/UHF PRO Remote". I think the "6.2 IR/UHF PRO" will also work.

This comes in handy for allowing the kids to watch TV2 from their bedrooms, and then I can watch TV1 from either the family room or the master bedroom and have full control of TV1.

Last edited:
The ViP622 DVR is hooked up to ONLY one TV. The tech that setup our equipment said it couldn't be done. But on the 942 that this recently replaced, I could use both Remote 1 and Remote 2 to operate the TV/DVR from two different chairs.

rcdallas said:
Yes it can be done. You would need a grand total of two (2) uhf pro remotes v6.3

You can also use the v8.0 remote. You can usually find used ones cheaper than the v6.3 remotes.

LittleDick said:
The ViP622 DVR is hooked up to ONLY one TV. The tech that setup our equipment said it couldn't be done. But on the 942 that this recently replaced, I could use both Remote 1 and Remote 2 to operate the TV/DVR from two different chairs.

Sounds like 622 is in dual user mode, if only hooked up to one tv, switch it to single user mode, both remotes will work unless you changed remote address on only one of the remotes.

If you are not feeding the ViP 622 signal to other parts of the house, then as garys said, switch it from Dual Mode to Single Mode. This is done manually by a button inside the front right cover of the 622. When in Single Mode, both remotes will control TV1 and TV2, but the TV1 remote will still be by IR within the same room.

Your TV may have "Picture in Picture (PIP)" and you are using Dual Mode to feed both tuners. However, the ViP 622 has a built in "Picture in Picture" function that works on non-PIP TV's.
rcdallas said:
Yes it can be done. You would need a grand total of two (2) uhf pro remotes v6.3

The IR remote would no longer be used. I don't know if the 942 remote is the same, from what I see above it is.

Reference this link http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=74129
In reference to the highlighted blue:
When you set the 622 TV1 to use UHF PRO, you are changing it from "IR Remote" to "IR/UHF PRO Remote".
Therefore, the original IR remote that comes with the ViP 622 will still work, but only in the same room, while you may use a "Green TV1 UHF PRO" from other rooms to control TV1.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)