Status
Not open for further replies.

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
Hello,

It would help the organization of the Dish Network Forums to have a separate forum for the 622 receiver.

The 622 receiver is getting very popular, and it is the most complicated receiver (dual tuner, dual remotes, dual outputs, HD support, OTA support, USB support, Ethernet support, MPEG-4 support, etc.), so it causes the most questions.

Currently, 622 questions and answers are scattered evenly among:

- Dish Network General Forum
- Dish Network HD Forum
- Dish Network Technical Forum

This clutters up those Forums, as well as causing lots of duplicate threads, and making harder for people to find answers to their questions.

To make this most effective, a mod should move all threads that have "622" in the title to that Forum.

PS Which reminds me, if at all possible, please modify the search to allow strings with 3 characters, such as "PBS" and "622".

Thanks for all the work done by mods and admins !

We try to move threads to the appropriate forum (Dish HD), but sometimes let it slip. The problem is if we create a forum for this, then in 6 months when the next next best thing comes out, we'll need a forum for it. (I am being hypothetical with the statement about the next best thing).

Yup and there are 3 new receivers which will be shown next week at Team Summit. :)

Lets put it this way, soon the ONLY receivers Dish Network is putting out are HD receivers. :D

Yup and there are 3 new receivers which will be shown next week at Team Summit. :)

Scott - I am so looking forward to meeting you next week!

About a 622 only forum, I think that is the only thing I like better about dbstalk. It has a dedicated forum for the 622. I only look at that forum. All the other info., I get here. When I had my 942's, there were dedicated forums for those. It makes it a little easier to sift through all the other info.!
I'm NOT complaining about this sites setup, I'm just saying theirs makes it a little easier to get receiver-specific info.

Tom in TX

Lets put it this way, soon the ONLY receivers Dish Network is putting out are HD receivers. :D

Well it's about time. I certainly am looking forward to it- although it starts the clock ticking on my 721 & 508. :) :(

Currently, 622 questions and answers are scattered evenly among:

- Dish Network General Forum
- Dish Network HD Forum
- Dish Network Technical Forum
Maybe the current structure is part of the problem.... (???)

Just looking at the names (I know that there's a summary that explains it further, but face it, most people don't read), is it referring to HD programming from Dish ?? Maybe it should be renamed "Dish Network HD Receivers forum".

Where do DVR-related questions go ?? I'd call that a "technical" question but what if it's a 622 or 942, i.e. HD DVRs ?? Ooops, those go in the HD forum.

Personally, I also like dbstalk's separation. No offense to 721 or 311 or 522 owners, but I'm not interested in them and more importantly, can't help with issues related to them. At dbstalk, I don't read the 921, 942, and so on sub-forums, nor do I read the SD-DVR sub-forum. Problem is, how will it look if satguys copies them ??

Here's a thought...

Drop the main forum and split E* into three forums:

• Dish Service (general questions on E* service)
  • Dish Programming (all programming topics and uplink reports)
  • Dish Hardware (all receiver technical questions, s/w release notes, etc)

Only thing the 722 will offer over the 622 is HD on Demand capability. That and a black skin.

If there was a 622 forum created, it should probably be a sub forum made to the Dish Network - Technical Discussions forum.
And make it a 622/722 forum, since there the same thing.

Keep the current Dish HD Discussions for generic Dish HD stuff.

I do agree that the seperate Technical forums for recievers is the one thing DBSTalk does better (except for the "heavily moderated" crap).

My suggestion would be the following sub-forums to the Technical Discussions forums, grouping the identical or very close to the same recievers together:
Legacy
301/311/322 <-- only difference is dual tuner on 322
211/222/411 <-- only difference is dual tuner on 222
501/508/510
522/625
721/921 <-- put together because except for HD, they're basically the same
622/722/942 <-- 942 with 622, since except for MPEG-4, not much difference

We try to move threads to the appropriate forum (Dish HD), but sometimes let it slip. The problem is if we create a forum for this, then in 6 months when the next next best thing comes out, we'll need a forum for it. (I am being hypothetical with the statement about the next best thing).

After reading the other comments, I think the best plan would be:

- Create a new Forum "622 and other HD Receivers Forum" (6 months from now, it can be slightly renamed if 622 is no longer what people are talking about - but I think that will remain the top quantity shipping product for all of 2007)
- Rename the existing HD Forum "Dish HD Programming"

we just got a flip book at our office on basic installation info, etc., but the cool thing that got us going was the introduction of the dpp33 (3 in, 3 out, no cascade, no power inserter) the 722 (just like the 622 but we believe it has a bigger hard drive, and the 621 which i think is useless. its a 622 but only for 1 tv. it has no ch21-69 output. but maybe it might not have the phone line fee. and also if i can recall, theres another black reciever (the 722 is black) maybe a 721 just like the 621. no info on when available, but in the last book there was the 222 and we still dont have those

Does any other device output NTSC other than channels 3 and 4? If not, maybe analog tuners outside of 3 & 4 will go away after the digital transition.

Does any other device output NTSC other than channels 3 and 4? If not, maybe analog tuners outside of 3 & 4 will go away after the digital transition.
yeah, the E* dual output boxes output NTSC channels (21-69?) for TV2.

Here's a thought...

Drop the main forum and split E* into three forums:

• Dish Service (general questions on E* service)
  • Dish Programming (all programming topics and uplink reports)
  • Dish Hardware (all receiver technical questions, s/w release notes, etc)

I think this is a good idea. I had a 622 thread that was moved from technical to HD, dont really understand that.

Looks like someone changed the forum header information. Now if you have questions about HD receivers and "services", i.e. programming ??, they go in the HD forum....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)