VIP622 - No "DishONLINE" option in DVR menu???

Ender519

Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
I have a VIP622 receiver and I received that short video explaining DishONLINE. I have my receiver connected via a wireless bridge, it is able to pull an IP and diagnostics say broadband connection is "OK".

However, when I press the DVR button I get no "DishONLINE" option. I am on the L447 software.

The receiver has been connected since yesterday, I made sure to turn it off thinking there might be an update overnight, but alas - nothing. I tried manually doing a dialout but it says no pending dialouts.

I called tech support and was fed several lines of BS ranging from "It only works on 722's" to "It was a partial rollout and may not be available for your receiver" to "You have an earlier model of the 622 and therefore the software may not be relased yet". All of it vague, all of it clear that the person was guessing and didn't know what they were talking about. Actually in the three people I ended up talking to, none of them really knew what DishONLINE was.. they kept sending me to Dish on Demand or the trial for setting up timers online.

So... since I don't have this option in the DVR menu, I can't seem to get the unit to update itself and Dish tech support is the proverbial screen door on a submarine... can anyone help?

Oh and while I'm here:

- I know this thing runs hot.. but mine seems to run really really warm. Under Diagnostics / Counters.. the hard drive says avg temp is 118 deg F.. cause for concern? It's in an open air entertainment center with plenty of room on all sides.

- Anyone found any secondary uses for this ethernet connection? I was curious so tried all the standard stuff - telnet, SSH, HTTP, HTTPS, ftp, etc. to see what response the 622 gave.. so far nothing..

The info video and the actual software are probably on two different download spools. I received the dishonline update on one of my 622's but didn't receive it on my other one till three weeks later. It will probably show up on it's own. I don't know of anything else you can do to 'force' the upgrade. You will probably just have to wait.

118 for temp is actually pretty low compared to the posts from those who are having problems.

Ethernet wil allow no second tuner charges for those without a landline and some (but not all) of the features located at DishHome.

Since you have L447, you *should* have DishONLINE.

Try soft-rebooting it (open the front-panel door, hold the power button down until the unit resets).

I tried rebooting.. no dice.

This is what I don't get.. if L447 is supposed to have it, why doesn't it show up? Is DishONLINE released to general public? Are there multiple versions of L447? Tech support was completely clueless.

It's not like I went searching the forums and found the function early, they are the ones that reached out to me and said "Here, here it is!". I've had that video for a week and a half now.

So.. I suppose it will show up on it's own in the future? heh.. ah well..

Thanks for your replies so far though!

Yeah it will show up on its own over time. :)

However since today is Thanksgiving, be thankful that you don't have DishONLINE. Its the biggest waste of space. :)

My 622 and the 722 both have L4.47 (it went Full Phase a while ago) but only the 722 shows DishOnline in the menu, the 622 doesn't. I really don't care since I will not be using that feature.

If I could I would send you this DISHONLINE feature free of charge. I have it and will never use it if it will stay like it is. The most unnecessary item in otherwise good 622.

Yeah I'm pretty sure based on what I'm seeing that DishONLINE probably sucks, but it may not always suck, and the *concept* itself is pretty cool, so I'm interested to see where they run with it.

The reason for this thread is that - at least in my experience - once they release a "feature" in a software update typically everyone gets it.

That doesn't appear to be the case here... so if it's truly part of L447, why doesn't everyone have it? Why is Dish mentioning that older 622's don't get that feature (mine is only 8 mo. old??) Why does it show up at seemingly random times for different people, especially those who have 2 receivers that should both be enabled?

This distubes me for a couple of reasons.. first, because E* tech support is spewing BS to me and I'm trying to call them on it.. and second because I really don't want to see a future where all new features are rolled out soft like this.. where you are proactively given a video from E* saying "Here is this new feature.. isn't it cool? Try it yourself!" only to be without that feature 2 weeks later, with no solid explanation of why you don't have it or when/if you will ever get it. Noone seems to be able to explain these discrepancies.

Honestly, I'm not sure I will use DishONLINE that much but I'd at least like the option.. it's supposed to be there, so I want it there if only because it should be.. make sense? :)

Is your receiver connected to your broadband and have a valid IP address assigned to it?

Yes. Not to play this card, but my job is a Networking Engineer. It has IP connectivity.. Anyway shouldn't the option be there whether or not it's connected to broadband?

Used a port scanner on the IP it pulled.. tighter than a snare drum. Nothing opened up.

Will be interesting to see what E* does with this now that they have sling.. can you image how freaking cool it would be to simply push a software update and enable sling box functionality?! (with an additional charge, I'm sure).. that's a whole 'nother thread tho.

My inlaws have a 722, not connected to ethernet, DishOnline is in their menu. So the connection is not required for it to show up.

Why is Dish mentioning that older 622's don't get that feature (mine is only 8 mo. old??)
I've had my 622 almost 18 months. Presume it was manufactured 1-2 months prior to that... Again, I have the DishONLINE button yet mine is *much* older than yours. Remember, when you call Dish, it's very, very obvious that the phone reps often make things up and this sounds like one of them.

Yes. Not to play this card, but my job is a Networking Engineer. It has IP connectivity.. Anyway shouldn't the option be there whether or not it's connected to broadband?

Used a port scanner on the IP it pulled.. tighter than a snare drum. Nothing opened up.

Will be interesting to see what E* does with this now that they have sling.. can you image how freaking cool it would be to simply push a software update and enable sling box functionality?! (with an additional charge, I'm sure).. that's a whole 'nother thread tho.

Do you see any network activity originating from your 622? I have my router firewall set to log all internet inbound and outbound packets (permitted and denied). When I review the log, I can see that my 622 is constantly polling two IP addresses (I'm not at home now, and can't remember what they are). It polls every minute or so attempting port 80 connections to those addresses.

I wonder if the dishonline menu choice is hidden if the 622 has never "contacted home" through the internet?

- Paul

I wonder if the dishonline menu choice is hidden if the 622 has never "contacted home" through the internet?
That actually would make sense since the connection is req'd to download the content but I'm positive that there's users who don't have it connected but *do* have the button.

I am using a Linksys WRT54GS, so my logs probably aren't as detailed as I would need.. probably need to get around to loading DD-WRT.

Anyway, this shows up in my logs after I go to Diagnostics --> Check Connection.. it's the only way I know to make it dial home because when I try Dial Out it says none are pending.

192.168.2.13 --> 64.202.189.170 www
192.168.2.13 --> 205.172.147.51 www

So obviously it's dialing home to these IP's over port 80. 64.202.189.170 says Website temporarily unavailable and 205.172.147.51 is the Dish Network website..

So anyway, based on what I'm seeing here and in another forum, the option shows up whether or not you have a broadband connection, it is just greyed out if it's not available. This is what I would expect.

I let it sit overnight, even reset the unit and kept it off and it didn't show up. Still showing L447 as software.

I may not yet know what I'm talking about on this subject, but I was wondering about DishOnline, as well.

I have DSL, and all my boxes are hooked up via phone line. When I selected DishOnline from the menu screen, Dish tells me I don't have an internet connection it recognizes, or some such thing. With DSL? What up with that?

Your set-top box isn't connected to your DSL though.... Simply "having" DSL doesn't make all of your phone lines "active". Your set-top isn't connected to your DSL modem, is it ?

Even though you may have DSL the signal doesn't run over the standard RJ11 jacks, you still have to have a modem to be able to use the DSL signal.

So.. the order is the signal goes from phone line, to DSL, to router, and then to your Dish box either via Ethernet cable or a wireless bridge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)