ViP622 Optical Audio out problem

SickPup404

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
I've got the 622 hooked up to my Pioneer VSX-816K (7.1) and output from DVD, FM, CD, etc. are solid. Audio on DVD/CD is via optical. Audio on 622 is optical also, but I have to turn the receiver up nearly 4-6x higher on satellite to get the same "listening level". I really don't know what the problem could be. Anybody have *any* suggestions/ideas?

TIA

Pioneer set-up

Does the pioneer have a gain set up in it's menu's. If it does then you need to adjust the level of the DVR to a setting close to the same as others. Also the HD channels have a wider range audio dynamics. So the audio will be lower with ability to have much higher peaks than the sources you have listed. The only real comparison would be if you have HD DVD or B-R disc.

I've got the 622 hooked up to my Pioneer VSX-816K (7.1) and output from DVD, FM, CD, etc. are solid. Audio on DVD/CD is via optical. Audio on 622 is optical also, but I have to turn the receiver up nearly 4-6x higher on satellite to get the same "listening level". I really don't know what the problem could be. Anybody have *any* suggestions/ideas?

TIA

I have the same receiver - HD channels are all quieter than regular sources. What is your audio setting set to on the 622? Try LINE LEVEL

OK, The 622 is set on Dolby Digital & PCM w/ Line Out. The A/V receiver is set for auto on pretty much everything. I listened to some SD content, Sirius, CD, etc. content off the 622 and all sounded "normal" with volume set like it is for DVD/CD/FM. Listened to some HD content active (ie, not off PVR) and sounded fine as well. Listened to "Nothing but Trailers" from PVR and it was just a little quieter than normal, but still easy to understand and was in 7.1 too.

The programs I was having trouble with were the STS118 launch (NASA on HDNet) and the UFC 73 from last month. They had to be pumped up, but I deleted them last night when I posted the question... (DOH!)

Thanks for all the input!

(As an aside, I'm stuck with L405 since my serial is 7985XXXXXX, but my Seagate Free Agent is ready to roll!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)