Vip622 showing wrong channels

fatreap70

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
I just put up a new dish 1000+ dish and lost all my previous channels and am getting new ones in the guide. When I do a checkswitch, it is checking for 91 and 82 instead of 110, 118.7, 119, and 129. How do I fix this? I tried a hard reboot and it didn't work. Thanks

I put a signal meter on the dish and I believe that I am picking up the right sats with it. DN support really sucks. Maybe you guys can answer.

1. On dish pointing screen, I enter my zip, Dish System choices are (300, 500, and SuperDish) so I selected 500 because it's selections are for 110 and 119.

2. When I check signal strength, 82 is 14, 91 is 37, 110 and 119 give me a message under the signal meter bar saying "Wrong Sat - Bell ExpressVu 91" with a signal strength of 37 and the meter is red and not green.

3. Click on check switch and under installation summary I get port 1 as satellite 91 OK, port 2 is satellite 82 and OK, port 3 is satellite X and Trans is X.

I hope this helps.

I put a signal meter on the dish and I believe that I am picking up the right sats with it.
Clearly you are pointed at the wrong satellites. You cannot use the receiver to tell you where to point the dish as the 1000+ is centered at 119W. You need to look up the azimuth and elevation numbers specific to the 1000+. Here's a link to the Sadoun website: http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/..._and_DISH_1000+_Installation_Instructions.pdf

DISH doesn't tell CSRs how to do this as it is something that their installers typically do for free with a subscription to qualifying programming.

harshness
I understood you until the " installers typically do for free" part. They wanted to send an installer out, but I figured I would be charged for the visit. That's why I'm turning to you guys because you have just as much or more knowledge than the installers and I can DIMyself. I hooked up a signal meter (a cheap one) and got a strong signal, maybe it was to the wrong birds. I will check into it in a couple of days. I'm not going out in this ice storm. Thanks!

That link looks good harshness, seems very detailed how to guide. Thanks!!!

Tried the same thing myself trying to lock onto 129 using a wing dish. I would get strong signal but I couldn't tell which bird I was getting the signal from. Short version called *D out and they had the whole system up and running in twenty minutes whereas I fooled around with it over a couple of days without any success before they came. Call for help, to me it was worth the money.

maybe it was to the wrong birds

Not maybe. There is no question you were pointed at the wrong birds. It might be best to cover the two LNBFs on the side with aluminum foil and then make sure that you get 119 with the 1 remaining LNB (you will be able to see this on the receiver as it will show 119 green (without showing "wrong satellite"). After you find the 119 bird as long as you have the skew and elevation set properly you should be very close on the others and you can just fine tune.

OP can use the elevation and azimuth settings provided for in the point dish screen if he puts in his zip and uses the given settings for a dish 300 pointed at 119. It won't give him skew though. It will put him in the general direction.

He is on the wrong birds. If you post your zip here we can give you correct settings.

You guys were right. I had the wrong wire into the ird and it was picking up on another dish on the roof. Thanks for all of the help.

Harshness...How do you get them to do that? I was on the phone for an hour with DN tech trying to get them to understand that exact point, but he would not budge.

I am the customer.
You are the provider.
I pay you for a certain service.
You should provide that service.
I paid $200 for your upgrade.
You want me to pay $250 more because installer did not provide the proper dish.
Plus the extra charges for having HD ird but no way to receive it.
Contract is up in 3 months.
Customer leaves.

I guess this is how they want to do business.

Lakebum...I like that idea! I just got the switch in and am still having a helluva time pointing dish. I will try that!

Just never take a new dish network reciever out of the box while pointed at bell express satellites and let it do it's initial software download or the reciever will be useless and will need to be returned to dish.

How do you get them to do that? I was on the phone for an hour with DN tech trying to get them to understand that exact point, but he would not budge.
Did you order something that requires a DISH1000+? They don't give them away if you don't need it. You can explain to them all day long that you think you want or deserve it, but until you order a package that requires it, they won't listen.

Just never take a new dish network reciever out of the box while pointed at bell express satellites and let it do it's initial software download or the reciever will be useless and will need to be returned to dish.

Actually, I had this happen on an old legacy box when a trainee locked the wrong birds (mast wasn't plumb) and downloaded the box while I was wrapping another outlet. After repointing the dish to 119/110, I turned the box off and left it off for about 30 minutes. It came back on with new software installed for DISH instead of BEV.

harshness,

I have had a HD package for over a year until one day it just went out (about the time they moved to the 5000's from the 9000's. Plus I was subbed for the St. Louis HD locals which are on the 118.7 bird, which I never received, but never bitched about. I know I need the dish to pick up the 118.7 bird. They just don't know how to show respect to their current customers since we are locked in to contracts. I think all they care about is getting new customers and new contracts. Once I dump them, they will be kissing my ass to come back. Give me all of the bells and whistles for nothing.

By the way, I am locked in to the right birds, I just need to get the dish pointed right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)