ViP622 Universal Remote Bug

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I've posted the short form of this in the bug thread.

I have a ViP622 and use the Harmony 880 universal remote to control it. It controls my entire HT setup - just one remote vice 5 or 6. This makes life a lot easier for my wife and in-laws. And I've come to prefer it, too.

However, I've noticed that now after recording from a set timer, the ViP622 stays ON. I'm not sure this happens every time. But by staying on, with all other HT equipment off, it is in a mode the 880 universal remote does not know about. The 880 sends a power toggle, not a discrete power ON and power OFF. So after this bug hits, and I use the 880 to turn on the system, every HT component is turned on, but the ViP622 is turned off. I need to use just the one remote, as simple as possible, for my in-laws. Having another remote or "sometimes used" power button to push will confuse the hell out of them.

I sent an email to Dish from the "Contact Us" area. Is there a specific place/format to report bugs to them?

Is this a problem for anyone else? Surely many of us use universal remotes to control their home theater systems.

Or does anyone have the discrete power on and off codes for the ViP622?

I've been using an 880 with my 942 since last September. To my knowledge, the 942/ViP622 don't turn on when a timer fires. My 942 doesn't, anyway. I think you might have a Power Off signal in your Activities that is actually turning on your 622. Get back on the Harmony website and walk through your Activities. I think you'll find the answer there.

Naw- it only seems to happen the day after I had an overnight timer set. And I always watch to see that everything is off when I shut it down using the 880- I've left the Assistant on. Yet the next morning I'll see the ViP622 "on." But thanks for the thought.

My 721 & 508 never behaved this way, either.

I also have a Harmony 880 that controls all of my HT equipment which includes a 622. The vast majority of my 622 recordings are scheduled to begin at 9:00pm and later and I have never found my 622 powered on the following day.

I'm not familiar with the harmony remotes (though I did go through their programming simulator when I was shopping for remotes earlier - and dedcided on HTM/URC models)... but can you FORCE the harmony to use discrete commands? They are available for the 622 if you can.

Where are discrete power on and off commands for the ViP622 available?

I made a point last night to ensure all was off, and had my wife confirm. So we'll see if it's back on tonight.

I'm wondering if this only happens when I record OTA, or back to back. I'm going to start a log and find out.

Read here: http://rweb.echostar.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/TechRemo3.1Trou.shtml#discpow

Or, here are the instructions cut & pasted:

Discrete Power On/Off
Some after-market, universal remote controls need two discrete buttons for Power On and Power Off. Because the remote does not have two free buttons, this feature had to be implemented using a sequence of buttons.
1. Press and hold the SAT button at the top of the remote until all mode button backlights illuminate (about 3 seconds), then release.
2. While the SAT mode light blinks, press and release the large satellite Power button.
3. Press Volume Up for discrete power on. Press Volume Down for discrete power off.
4. Press the Select button to exit.

Use this to learn the codes to your harmony.

It gets weirder.

Midday today I saw it recording- this time with the red and green (power) lights on. Later noticed the red was out- done recording. But the ViP622 was still ON.

Now the weird part- there was nothing added to the recordings list today. Last recording was dated 4/21. And AFAIK nothing was added to the DishOnDemand- only 4 items listed.

Why would it "record" nothing? And why would it then stay on? Anyone else seeing anything like this?

problem found?

It gets a bit more interesting. Found the ViP622 "on" again for no reason. Then while watching a DVR'd show tonight, it suddenly went into 4x "rewind" and did a couple of skips. I thought, could some random light be sending an IR code? Surely the ViP622 in single mode uses only IR commands. The TV1 remote is IR only. And the Harmony 880 is IR only.

Dawn comes slowly, sometimes. The folks in the townhouse next door have Dish. I changed my 721 code to avoid conflicts. But I believed the ViP622 would ignore UHF commands unless it was in dual mode. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyway, I removed the remote antenna from the back. I only installed it so as not to lose it. Now we'll see if it ever "turns itself on" again. If it does, I'll post here again.

And I have an even better fix- I'm moving in a month. Just got word tonight that ours was the winning bid on a house we wanted- real bad.

Since we will be here another month, I will call Dish and have them come out and reaim the dish- signals are way too low. It'll be good for the next owner. Gotta learn about Dish Mover anyway.

Thanks to all who helped.

Interesting that you may be getting UHF inteference...

Here are a couple of more ides...

Temporarily put your 622 into dual mode, while in dual mode, change the channel and code to something most people will never think of setting their remote to... something on the B channel and two digits, like B11 or something like that. Once done, change your 622 back to single mode.

You could also place one of these: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103064 over the UHF remote antenna jack to shield it from getting any signal at all.

Thank you! I have some terminators- didn't think it was a good idea to use one. Sometimes I feel like being a belt and suspenders kind of guy, so I'll probably change the address also.

BTW, Dish is sending someone out Thursday to re-aim the 110/119 dish. 61.5 stays at about 75, but they said that was good enough, and I don't seem to have had any problems with HD reception. And they'll install 2 dishes at my new place for free.

I think it's funny that you're getting inteference. I had to put a real UHF antenna on my 622 just to get a signal from my bedroom! I think my entertainment center was blocking everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)