VIP622 upgrade - additional dish needed

jdr01930

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 28, 2005
Gloucester, MA
I currently have two 522’s, and a Dish 500 pointed at 110 and 119.
I’m probably gonna call E* to upgrade one 522 to a 622 with E*’s $300 deal and finally have HD. I currently have AT60+locals, looking to upgrade to the Bronze HD package.

What I’m trying to figure out, and I’d like some feedback before talking to an CSR, is that I’m assuming I’ll need a second dish pointed at 61.5.
The big question: Should I be charged extra for the second dish? If I understand all this right (been reading lots of stuff on here!), I can’t just replace my existing 500 with a 1000 given that I’m in MA (zip=01930).

Now, there are certain locals I don’t currently get, and a message comes up when I tune to them saying Dish will install the necessary second dish for free to get said channels, which I believe are on 61.5.

Would this same dish be used to get the HD channels from 61.5, or would these be two different models (will the free 2nd dish be “HD ready”)?

If they say I have to pay for the extra dish to get the HD upgrade, could I postpone the 622 upgrade for now, take them up on the offer for the free second dish to get the additional locals, then later call for the 622 upgrade after the extra dish is in place?

If there’s no charge for the second dish in the 622 upgrade, this isn’t an issue. Would the 2nd dish they’d install for the additional locals also get the HD channels, or they two different models?

What I don’t want to hear from the CSR is “that will be $300 for the 622 upgrade, plus $99 to install a second dish” – just trying to be as informed as possible when I call…

Thanks! - John

The $299 includes installation of the 2nd dish and switches.

There is only one 61.5 dish. You will get the HD channels + you missing local channels.

Be aware, Scott is reporting that there is only 240 Vip622s available in the entire country tomorrow.

As you need a second dish for locals you should not need to pay. I didnt for getting a second dish (actually the installer put in a dish 1000) cos it was easier for him, and a DPP 44 all for free.
61.5 will serve the locals and new HD so you would be ready to rock and roll !

Or you could pay the $299 and still get it for free !

Thanks! Wow - you guys are fast!

Only 240 622's! I knew demand was gonna be higher than supply, but that's pretty extreme!

Maybe I'll just get the second free dish for now, and wait for the dust to settle for the 622. I originally declined the second dish because the "aestetics" of a second dish didn't justify those extra locals that I never watched much anyway (when I had cable)...
But since it will eventually be needed for HD anyway, hey, why not!

jdr -
I did the same thing (refused the 2nd dish), because I was new to satellite and didn't know any better. I recently had the 61.5 dish installed for HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts