vip622 using 4 external drives to a hub

manyultra

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
I wanted to use a non-powered 4 port hub to connect 4 external drives to the vip622.

I realize only one external drive can be powered on at a time, but does the receiver also have to be rebooted each time I change drives, or can I simply unplug one drive, and plug in the new one?

Thanks

It does not have to be rebooted. Just change drives then try to "access" via the menu and it works fine.

I'm confused because I read on other posts that the receiver needed to be rebooted each time a new drive was connected, and another post said "a hub will not work with the 622 or 722." All who have successfully connected to a hub and changed drives without rebooting the receiver please post the method/equipment used.

Dish support said you can connect an unlimited number of drives to a single receiver, and the receiver will also format an unlimited number.
However, I read that a drive which has been formatted by one of the receivers, and has recordings on it can only be connected to a maximum of 3 receivers. Upon attempting to connect to a fourth receiver, all the content will be lost, and drive reformatted. Is this correct?

Smith, P: What did you mean by a "USB switch 4-to-1?" Would this be a 4 port switch with male usb output connector on one end, and 4 female usb inputs on the other with a pushbutton switch enabling the user to toggle between the 4 inputs? Could something like this work, and if so where could you get it?

thanks

USB hubs will NOT work on a 622 or 722. As P. Smith said you need a USB switch. I am using one on each of my ViP receivers (I have a total of 7 USB drives on the two receivers).

I am using this model. With this switch you also need to use "b" to "a" adapters for each drive you attach to the switch.

I'm confused because I read on other posts that the receiver needed to be rebooted each time a new drive was connected, and another post said "a hub will not work with the 622 or 722." All who have successfully connected to a hub and changed drives without rebooting the receiver please post the method/equipment used.

thanks

I think the only time one has to reboot the receiver is when the drive is first connected and it is formatted. After that reboot, the drive can be connected and removed without rebooting. That is how it has worked with my two drives.

Miner

If you have a USB switch the way is works is that when you switch from one drive to another one you first get the message that a USB device has been disconnected (the 853 popup) and then about 5 - 15 seconds latter you get the message (the 652 popup) that a multimedia device has been connected to the USB port and asked "would you like to view and manage its contents at this time". There is NO re-booting required to switch between drives.

I am using this model. With this switch you also need to use "b" to "a" adapters for each drive you attach to the switch.

My original post said a "non powered" hub, but if I'm using a switch it could be powered or non powered.

Thanks for the info. I assume the connectors you are referring to are 4 of these and a cable connected from the back or front of the receiver to the I/O port such as This One.

Next would be the time consuming task of transfering about 300 gb of
data onto their own separate drives "movies drive," "sports drive," etc etc., and the only way I know to do this is to transfer all 300 gb back to the main receiver (40 gb at a time) then retransfer everything to the new drives. Is there an easier way, and what happens if I try to transfer more back to the receiver than there's room for - do I have to start over?

I wouldn't even need to do this if the code writer would have remembered to include the grouping button!!

I have to get myself one of those switches. I didn't even realize they existed (not sure why!), but it would be a heck of a lot easier then reaching beyond the dish receiver to switch usb cables. :up

I love this place -- always learning something new! :)

I am using a nonpowered USB hub, definitely not a switch. I found it at Big Lots.

I just oriented the drives where I can get at the power switch from the front. Only one powered at a time. Power off, "OK" the popup, then power on a different one.

USB hubs definitely work. The key is having drives with a power switch (I wish they had not eliminated these from all the newer drives).

I have 3 older Maxtor OneTouch drives (with power switch) and a Seagate Free Agent (on a foot activated switch) all hooked through a powered 4-port USB hub.

I've had no problems and never have to reboot when changing between drives.

Get to the USB switch: ATEN, model US-401.

A note - it will require special cables, as initially created to connect one device to many CPUs. Just is too old (6 years) model.
I'm sure now you can find other one with proper connectors.

Attachments

• DSCI0019.JPG
    DSCI0019.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 226
I got the unit Bill R recommended in post #6. You need the A female to B male adapters and a more difficult to find male A to male A cable to connect your 622/722 to the switch (most USB cables are male A to male B). I did all that and now I can switch painlessly between up to 4 EHDs. I'm using 2 now and when I switch I just acknowledge the disconnect and then acknowledge the new one from the screen prompts.

I've used a HUB. It's fine as long as the drives have power switches and only 1 is powered at a time.

I'd be nervous using bill's switch (post #6). It's mechanical. The contacts can get dirty. It's probably got many impedance mismatches (solder joints, wires, switch). It could effect USB2 signal integrity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)