VIP722 and 211: Switching TV2

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PundaSmith

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Cherry Hill, NJ
Hello,

I have the Vip722 Duo that currently controls the TV in my living room (TV1) and my bedroom (TV2).

The Vip211 is in the basement.

I want to switch the setup around so that the vip211 goes to the bedroom, and TV2 now goes to the basement.

The installer promised to come and switch the cables, but he is so bogged down with work that I am wondering if I can do it myself.

Any instructions re how to accomplish this?

Also, I do not have any remote for TV2 -- the original was damaged in my apartment. but I have two remotes for TV1 around. Can I reset one of them to control TV2?

Cheers, Punda

switching boxes and connections

You need a feed from the dish to the Bedroom to hookup the 211. You need to take the TV2 out from the 722 to the basement. It can be simpler based on how the the cables were run that is something only the installer would know. But it should be pretty easy. If you have the right tools for the cable it is a snap if you are dealing with only whats there I would wait. Myself I like to run the cables the way I like . Good luck.

TV2 from your 722 is SD only, as I'm sure you know, so sending it to the basement is curious. In order to get true HD to all sets, you would need to run an HDMI cable from from the 722 to the basement via an HDMI splitter OR, use component + audio to connect Living Room TV. BUT, both TVs will be seeing the same thing...no independent viewing. For the Bedroom, HDMI from the 211.

For RF remote, you would need a 21.0.

Thanks to you all for your responses.

KAB: Since the basement is used mainly for games (ps3, Wii), we can sacrifice the SD signal from 722 there. On the other hand, I watch TV in the bedroom, hence HD and independent viewing is deal there.

cheers, Punda

Thanks to you all for your responses.

KAB: Since the basement is used mainly for games (ps3, Wii), we can sacrifice the SD signal from 722 there. On the other hand, I watch TV in the bedroom, hence HD and independent viewing is deal there.

cheers, Punda

If possible, you could barrel connect the sat line going to your 211 and run the extended line to your bedroom and just move the 211 in there.

What if there is a wall jack already in both bedroom and basement -- will connecting the 211 to the bedroom jack, and basement jack to TV2 not achieve the same result ? Or should there be something that I need to change at the back of the 722?

thanks for your patience in answering all these questions. cheers, PS

IMO, that is too many connections, and may degrade the Sat signal. If it were me, I would pull new coax tied to the old (if there is not enough slack presently) so that there is only ONE barrel. However, you can try it and see what happens.

Thanks folks for all your responses.

HIFI: Based on your link, I think I will attempt switching the cables.

Please find attached a picture showing the following connections:

1 = Cable from satellite dish
2 = Cable from Satellite dish/hub to basement jack that feeds Vip211
3 = Cable from satellite dish/hub that connects to the vip722 hub on the left
4 = Cable from Vip722 dish/hub that feeds bedroom jack
5 = Cable from that feeds the Vip722

What stumps me from the picture is that there are two cable outputs from the satellite dish: one to the 211 jack in the basement, and I was expecting the other (#3) to go to the 722 jack/splitter, but it didn't.

In the meantime, I think I should be able to swap cables 2 & 4: i.e, switch the bedroom and basement cables so that the satellite feed currently feeding the basement (#2) now feeds the bedroom.

Well, I await your explanation and thoughts.

Thanks in advance. Punda.

View attachment 68791

Attachments

• Satellite_Pictures.jpg
    Satellite_Pictures.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
From the way you have it labeled, switching 2 and 4 will do what you want. #3 should be going to the SAT side of the diplexer, and it looks like it is.

Sure enough -- i switched it, and it worked. At first, it said "complete signal loss on both TVs, and then it came back on. Thanks very much for all your help. cheers, Punda

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)