VIP722 broken. Can I plug the Internal HD to another DVR to backup programs?

EndoT800

Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
My VIP722 no longer starts. Just a green light on then off again. Not sure if the internal HD is locked to the receiver itself. If I plug the Internal HD to another DVR say vip622 or 722k, will I be able to transfer the programs off the broken unit to my ext HD then back to a new DVR? I have long cables for the SATA & power without the need to remove the HD. I just want to retrieve the recorded programs and back them up to ext HD pending that the drive itself has not gone bad.

This technique is plausible, because IIRC several DVRs in the same class have the same disk model numbers embedded in firmware. The disk is not locked to the receiver as they were back in the bad ol' 50x days.

I say, "Give it a try," and let us know if it works!

Did this just start with the over night refresh? If so, you may have had a corrupt download of software. Unplug all usb devices and then to a plug reboot. I had a similar problem several weeks ago. I was out of town and my wife called me and said we had a problem. When I got home I tried several reboots and then decided to remove all usb devices. My 722 restarted and then did a download of new software. Rebooted itself and no problems since.
As far as your ehd. The ehd is keyed to the account not the receiver. As long has the other dvr is on the same account, you can transfer recordings. If you get a new to you 722, do not attach the ehd to the receiver till it until it is fully activated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts