VIP722 DVR Problems

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
For the past 4-5 months every channel (live or recorded) breaks up several times during each show and displays a message about the smart card not being authorized to view the programming. It has been becoming so annoying and I need to do something about it. I had thought it was due to the dish signal being weaker, but now since the weather has been much better the signal is increased and the picture still breaks up.

This has been our second VIP722 DVR receiver since signing up for Dish Network 2.5 - 3 years ago.

Question: what would it cost me to upgrade to the new VIP922 DVR receiver and send back the VIP722?

I should just call Dish Network and have them send me a replacement VIP722, but I hate doing this every year. Perhaps I should switch to DirecTV.

I had same problem, but not as bad as yours, then one morning nothing worked. Problem was lnb, swapped it out and no problem since.
Dan

Upgrading to a 922 is $200. Plus 15/95 tech fee (15 w/ Service plan , 95 without). Don't think you could just call and have one sent. Switching to DTV probably isn't going to be any better. They all use remanufactured receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

For the past 4-5 months every channel (live or recorded) breaks up several times during each show and displays a message about the smart card not being authorized to view the programming. It has been becoming so annoying and I need to do something about it. I had thought it was due to the dish signal being weaker, but now since the weather has been much better the signal is increased and the picture still breaks up.

This has been our second VIP722 DVR receiver since signing up for Dish Network 2.5 - 3 years ago.

Question: what would it cost me to upgrade to the new VIP922 DVR receiver and send back the VIP722?

I should just call Dish Network and have them send me a replacement VIP722, but I hate doing this every year. Perhaps I should switch to DirecTV.

Its got nothing to do with a weak signal. The problem is with your receiver. I had the exact same problem with a replacement VIP722 and my family and I got really furious at dish and I threatened to cancel. I was also mad at them from earlier because I unbundled dish from my att internet and phone and somehow they charged me for 2 months of programming instead of just one month. At the end, after I had threatened to cancel a bunch of times, they were nice enough to send me a new vip722k and charge me the new promotional prices with free HD. I'm committing another 24 months, but that's fine by me. Hope everything works out for you, but if not, then might have to switch to another provider.

Its got nothing to do with a weak signal. The problem is with your receiver. I had the exact same problem with a replacement VIP722 and my family and I got really furious at dish and I threatened to cancel. I was also mad at them from earlier because I unbundled dish from my att internet and phone and somehow they charged me for 2 months of programming instead of just one month. At the end, after I had threatened to cancel a bunch of times, they were nice enough to send me a new vip722k and charge me the new promotional prices with free HD. I'm committing another 24 months, but that's fine by me. Hope everything works out for you, but if not, then might have to switch to another provider.

After reading the replies here I too believe the problem is with the receiver. I'm going to call to see what can be done. Thank you everyone for your help.

I just did an on-line chat with the technical department, but even though I'm an engineer, have 9 dishes in my backyard and have done all the troubleshooting one could do I still need to call again tonight while at home and have them walk me through some troubleshooting steps before they will even think about sending my a replacement VIP722.

On a good note they verified that my two year agreement is over and I could tell them to pound sand if they are unable to resolve this problem in a timely manner. I'm not going to pay $70 plus per month to receive programming that breaks up every few minutes and having the receiver reset once or twice a night.

I got so frustrated last night when I called Dish Network about my picture breaking up and hearing the CSR reading a script. What does the picture look like? Please unplug the receiver for 10 seconds then plug back in. Is the receiver booting up? Good grief! He then told me he added a memo onto my account and if I experience anymore problems to please do not hesitate to call back. I had this problem now for months and I know the receiver is at fault, so just send me a replacement now I thought.

About 10 minutes later the problem was still occuring as expected so I called again. After 20 minutes of going through the same thing they told me they need to send a technician out which I scheduled for this afternoon. They wouldn't simply take my word that it is the receiver and send a replacement.

After several frustrating phone calls to Dish Network technical support a technician came out today and replaced an LNB, readjusted the dish and gave us a brand new VIP722 HD DVR receiver and two brand new remote controls to replace our bad receiver that was giving us problems.

I'm now a happy Dish Network customer. :)

I got so frustrated last night when I called Dish Network about my picture breaking up and hearing the CSR reading a script. What does the picture look like? Please unplug the receiver for 10 seconds then plug back in. Is the receiver booting up? Good grief! He then told me he added a memo onto my account and if I experience anymore problems to please do not hesitate to call back. I had this problem now for months and I know the receiver is at fault, so just send me a replacement now I thought.

About 10 minutes later the problem was still occuring as expected so I called again. After 20 minutes of going through the same thing they told me they need to send a technician out which I scheduled for this afternoon. They wouldn't simply take my word that it is the receiver and send a replacement.

After several frustrating phone calls to Dish Network technical support a technician came out today and replaced an LNB, readjusted the dish and gave us a brand new VIP722 HD DVR receiver and two brand new remote controls to replace our bad receiver that was giving us problems.

I'm now a happy Dish Network customer. :)

And the LNB is exactly why they insisted on sending out a tech instead of just sending the receiver....

I have to admit I'm now very impressed with Dish Network's customer service. They sent out a technician the very next day who installed a new LNB, replaced a run of coax and installed a brand new VIP722K HD DVR receiver and two remote controls.

Even my wife who doesn't usually notice the difference between SD and HD programming said WOW when she saw the picture quality difference between our old VIP722 and new VIP722K receiver. I'm also very impressed and plan on remaining a Dish Network subscriber for many years to come.

When I arrived home we had heavy rain with large hail in the area and still the picture looked fantastic with no rain fade. Below are pictures.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 178
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 040.JPG
    040.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 043.JPG
    043.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 047.JPG
    047.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 054.JPG
    054.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 156
  • 063.JPG
    063.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 064.JPG
    064.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 177
I was just wondering, are you sure everything was originally hooked up with HD components with correct settings. There should be no difference between receivers.

The HD picture looked very good before we started having problems with our VIP722, but now the picture quality is excellent with the new VIP722K receiver. Now probably the increased signal after adjusting the dish and adding a new LNB helped.

I just read on the service agreement that the technician replaced the low frequency barrel within our wall plate (supplying the satellite signal to the receiver) to a high frequency barrel. I never thought about that and now want to replace the other barrels to high frequency that supply the FTA HD receivers.

Just performed a "point dish" just to see how much the signal strength has improved and was surprised to see that the signal strength of the Pittsburgh locals on 129 transponder 10 is only at 33%. It was higher before the technician adjusted the dish. Should I be concerned?

what is the signal showing today? You may have had some weather residue from the storm last night so the numbers may show funky

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts