Is the old $5.00 phone connection fee really gone (I want to unplug the phone line on my 722k)?

JonBlack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Lowcountry, SC
I want to unplug my 722k from our phone line for several reasons. I wanted to make sure that one of three things wouldn't happen:

1) There isn't an incentive (that I can see) for keeping the phone line connected after removing the $5 discount. So I want to be sure that there isn't a special or hidden $X connection fee that I'm unaware of for using one duo receiver.

2) That disconnecting the phone line to a duo receiver will trigger calls from the audit team, even though we have just one duo receiver now.

3) Constantly pester me onscreen to connect a phone line to get the best service...blah, blah, blah.

Thanks!

I want to unplug my 722k from our phone line for several reasons. I wanted to make sure that one of three things wouldn't happen:

1) There isn't an incentive (that I can see) for keeping the phone line connected after removing the $5 discount. So I want to be sure that there isn't a special or hidden $X connection fee that I'm unaware of for using one duo receiver.
There is NO hidden charge
2) That disconnecting the phone line to a duo receiver will trigger calls from the audit team, even though we have just one duo receiver now.
If you have only one receiver there is no reason to be audited (nobody can guarantee they wont call but I've never heard of them calling someone with only one receiver.)
3) Constantly pester me onscreen to connect a phone line to get the best service...blah, blah, blah.
They removed the on screen notice
Thanks!
See answers in quoted text

Although it was eliminated, I still see customers who are paying the five dollar connection fee. I don't understand why some do and some don't. Maybe its all in how well your payment history is.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Although it was eliminated, I still see customers who are paying the five dollar connection fee. I don't understand why some do and some don't. Maybe its all in how well your payment history is.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yes, I also noticed some saying that they are still paying $5.00. If they can still charge subs $5.00 for the connection fee, why can't they credit those $5.00 for having phone lines (or broadband) connected?

Are you still able to order PPV and VOD through the receiver without it connected? I took the phone line off my mother-in-laws DVR and now she has to call in or go online to order.

Are you still able to order PPV and VOD through the receiver without it connected? I took the phone line off my mother-in-laws DVR and now she has to call in or go online to order.

To order via the remote, the receiver needs to be connected with broadband or a phone line. Otherwise it has to be ordered online or by phone.

Thanks for the responses!

We only have one duo receiver now, we order our PPV items online and we are looking to eliminate our landline. So I just wanted to make sure we wouldn't have any "hidden issues" by pulling the phone plug.

Another reason to possibly keep the phone line connected that I just found out. If you call in with a receiver issue they may be able to diagnose the problem if you"re connected. This may help getting a replacement sent out faster instead of try this or try that and call back later if you're still having problems.

When I called last week about my 622 and the hard drive error messages I was seeing the person I spoke with was able to verify the problem because I had my phone line connected. I would assume that they could also do that with the broadband connection?? I only have the phone line at this point.

Don't know if they can diagnose everything or if every csr(I called Exec. Resolutions) has the ability to do it or not.

I finally got around to calling about my $5.00 charge. We have no home phone line for at least 3 years and the receiver has always had just one tv hooked up for the Welcome pak and Encore. Seemed silly to keep paying this fee. When I called the CSR said they could waive it if I signed up for auto pay...Sounds fishy? I said well if it kills the $5.00 a month fee do it. Sounds like she wasn't budging unless I did, and i wasn't in a fighting mood today lol.... Blind

From what I was told, if a customer signed up during the period when Dish charged for not having a phone line hooked up that customer would continue to be charged. That was the promotion they signed up for. Now if they upgrade that may change.

I finally got around to calling about my $5.00 charge. We have no home phone line for at least 3 years and the receiver has always had just one tv hooked up for the Welcome pak and Encore. Seemed silly to keep paying this fee. When I called the CSR said they could waive it if I signed up for auto pay...Sounds fishy? I said well if it kills the $5.00 a month fee do it. Sounds like she wasn't budging unless I did, and i wasn't in a fighting mood today lol.... Blind

If you're still getting charged the $5 TV2 connection fee (aka phone line fee), we can remove the charge if you sign up for autopay and paperless billing. You can always send me a PM with any questions regarding it.

Another reason to possibly keep the phone line connected that I just found out. If you call in with a receiver issue they may be able to diagnose the problem if you"re connected. This may help getting a replacement sent out faster instead of try this or try that and call back later if you're still having problems.

When I called last week about my 622 and the hard drive error messages I was seeing the person I spoke with was able to verify the problem because I had my phone line connected. I would assume that they could also do that with the broadband connection?? I only have the phone line at this point.

Don't know if they can diagnose everything or if every csr(I called Exec. Resolutions) has the ability to do it or not.

I have both my phone and broadband connected to my VIP722k/w MT2 and this is just one of the reasons why.:)

WARNING: Ordering PPV via online has it's faults. Even though you login to order, the system has no idea what satellites your using. Twice now we have ordered PPV movies online then find out later that we watched the incorrect channel on the receiver. Our Free PPV credit gets used up on a channel we don't get because we don't use satellite 129. We get charged $5-$6 for watching the movie we wanted to see via VOD as that was the only place we see the movie we ordered.

Dish Network needs to fix this issue.

When ordering PPV movies online, there should be a link to my account that knows what satellites we use OR identify the satellite for each PPV listing. That way customers like myself don't get screwed every time we try to watch PPV. For this reason, we no longer watch ANY PPV.

I think this information is relevant to the $5 phone connection. As Dish moves away from PPV orders via the receiver, they need to address issues like the one I point out above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)