Vip722 Hard Drive Corrupted - All Recorded Show GONE

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
They are sending a replacement 722 for one of my 2 722's--I also have a 622 in another room.
All are on UPS's but the power outage was for 2 hours so that didn't help.
Both 722's are on the same UPS, the older did not survive, completely.

On boot up it gives message 311 "An issue has been detected that may affect your ability to record or pause live TV. Unplug...." Pressing DVR gives 024 "Unable to access this feature at this time. Data not available." Fortunately most of the recordings were lower IMDb quality (7.5 and lower, 3.5 on a 4-star scale). All better and series/PBS-type were on my 5 750GB WD external drives. Loss of one drive would be painful (especially for the 140 9.3+ movies or the 38 3-seasons of Northern Exposure in HD) but not disastrous.

After several reboots including several cord pulls (hard) and many front-panel power-holds (soft) resets, I got one that allowed access to the recording list. I managed to off-load the movie M (1931), which is only on about once a year, before it stopped working again. (Interesting, it remained in the internal and I could check the whole movie on the EHD.) The accessible time was maybe 10 minutes for a 6 min copy--whew. You only get the 2-day guide instead of the 8 day.

It took about 25 minutes with tech help line to convince that I need a replacement with postage paid by getting the $6 service, for now.

The biggest loss was the 90 of the 96 timers and many searches and a few non-repeated recordings. Fortunately I have most listed in my laptop to keep IMDb rating and rank, name and year, listing rating, director and stars, recording date and channel (for HD/SD tracking), and recording size in MB. (Now just need a synopsis.)

I have always recorded to the internal first but in theory you could record directly to the external, but not to both. Moving a recording is a copy and delete the original. So only in exceptional cases do you get the copy without losing the previous one--a pity.

Sorry for the long post.
-Ken

I have been through this with a 501 receiver once and I was definitely not thrilled. If this happens to my 722 Dish had better make it up to me if I lose a bunch of recordings or I would have to seriously think about switching to DirecTv if their HD DVR's are more reliable than Dish Network's receivers. You have to draw the line somewhere and people will only tolerate so much bull. I was sent remanufactured 522 JUNK from Dish as a replacement to my 721 and a remanufactured 722 as well. It would be my luck that both would end up failing on me. If that happens that will be the straw that broke the camel's back and I am done and I dont care if I am in a two year contract, they will have to sue me to get it.

I am wanting to get an external hard drive to record shows from the 722. I would like to make a copy on the external but it is being said that it is not allowed, that the content can only reside on the external or internal hard drive which sucks. The only solution I can think of is to have an extra receiver on the account to record all the shows (even if it has to be a 522 / 625) as a backup in case the other goes bad for those important shows you cannot miss but that is another $6 DVR fee and $5 additional outlet fee for a total of $11 plus tax for the privelidge. I guess I could just record the important shows to my external hard drive if they are going to be a bit more reliable than the internet hard drives that comes with these things.

What has been the trend with the external hard drives connected to these HD DVR's? More reliability from them than the internal hard drives? I am also thinking that only one hard drive can be connected at the same time to these receivers.

I assume that the recordings will still record to the external hard drive if the internal hard drive fails, right?

I have been through this with a 501 receiver once and I was definitely not thrilled. If this happens to my 722 Dish had better make it up to me if I lose a bunch of recordings or I would have to seriously think about switching to DirecTv if their HD DVR's are more reliable than Dish Network's receivers. You have to draw the line somewhere and people will only tolerate so much bull. I was sent remanufactured 522 JUNK from Dish as a replacement to my 721 and a remanufactured 722 as well. It would be my luck that both would end up failing on me. If that happens that will be the straw that broke the camel's back and I am done and I dont care if I am in a two year contract, they will have to sue me to get it.

I am wanting to get an external hard drive to record shows from the 722. I would like to make a copy on the external but it is being said that it is not allowed, that the content can only reside on the external or internal hard drive which sucks. The only solution I can think of is to have an extra receiver on the account to record all the shows (even if it has to be a 522 / 625) as a backup in case the other goes bad for those important shows you cannot miss but that is another $6 DVR fee and $5 additional outlet fee for a total of $11 plus tax for the privelidge. I guess I could just record the important shows to my external hard drive if they are going to be a bit more reliable than the internet hard drives that comes with these things.

What has been the trend with the external hard drives connected to these HD DVR's? More reliability from them than the internal hard drives? I am also thinking that only one hard drive can be connected at the same time to these receivers.

I assume that the recordings will still record to the external hard drive if the internal hard drive fails, right?

If you really want to archive shows buy this HD PVR Product overview
and be free of dish DRM. 1080i and AC-3 5.1 sound with beta drivers.

This has been ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.

So, I get a refurbished CRAP VIP722 yesterday. I hook it up, get it activated last night, then leave the house. When I come back, I go to change channels, it locks up for a minute, then reboots itself. After it comes back and goes through satellite acquisition, it complains about not getting a signal, then reboots itself again. After watching it do this at least SEVEN TIMES,I go to bed.

I wake up, see that it is doing it STILL, I call support. After about 1/2 hour of troubleshooting, they decide to send me another VIP722. I said it needs to be overnighted. After they mention a $25 fee for overnight delivery, I promptly laughed in the rep's face, and they waved the fee. I also mention that I want a BRAND NEW VIP722, and the tech complies. Now for the best part. I call back again a few hours later. The VIP722 I am receiving is NOT new. Also, the rep claims that it was shipped to arrive 5-7 BUSINESS DAYS FROM TODAY. Of course, I'm losing it now. Once I get transferred to a supervisor, they NOW claim that it was in fact shipped overnight, and they have a tracking number. I've been trying this tracking number ALL DAY, and it doesn't work. When I call back YET AGAIN, they are simply saying that they cannot retrieve the tracking number me, but REST ASSURED, it was sent out today to arrive tomorrow.

I am really starting to ask myself if I made a mistake getting involved with this joke of a company. Yes, when everything is working, it is a nice product. But tech and customer support to me are the true telling signs of a company, and right now, they are failing MISERABLY.

Sorry for the rant, AGAIN. I am getting so tired of this.

i read somewhere that you can reformat the drive with this combination of key presses.
(MENU-6-3) (INFO-BROWSE-THEME) (PLAY-PLAY-RECALL) . could reformatting fix a corrupted drive for the 6 and 722?

This has been ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.

So, I get a refurbished CRAP VIP722 yesterday. I hook it up, get it activated last night, then leave the house. When I come back, I go to change channels, it locks up for a minute, then reboots itself. After it comes back and goes through satellite acquisition, it complains about not getting a signal, then reboots itself again. After watching it do this at least SEVEN TIMES,I go to bed.

I wake up, see that it is doing it STILL, I call support. After about 1/2 hour of troubleshooting, they decide to send me another VIP722. I said it needs to be overnighted. After they mention a $25 fee for overnight delivery, I promptly laughed in the rep's face, and they waved the fee. I also mention that I want a BRAND NEW VIP722, and the tech complies. Now for the best part. I call back again a few hours later. The VIP722 I am receiving is NOT new. Also, the rep claims that it was shipped to arrive 5-7 BUSINESS DAYS FROM TODAY. Of course, I'm losing it now. Once I get transferred to a supervisor, they NOW claim that it was in fact shipped overnight, and they have a tracking number. I've been trying this tracking number ALL DAY, and it doesn't work. When I call back YET AGAIN, they are simply saying that they cannot retrieve the tracking number me, but REST ASSURED, it was sent out today to arrive tomorrow.

I am really starting to ask myself if I made a mistake getting involved with this joke of a company. Yes, when everything is working, it is a nice product. But tech and customer support to me are the true telling signs of a company, and right now, they are failing MISERABLY.

Sorry for the rant, AGAIN. I am getting so tired of this.
I feel your pain and completely understand the rant. We are going through a similar situation (been without Sat tv in the Front Room and Master Bedroom for almost a week waiting on working receivers to get to the house). Hopefully, we have one now (receiver came this morning. We will see over the next few days. Will not be happy campers if we have to call Tech Support again for a faulty receiver in the near future.

Geoff

Is this pain enough to completely get out of the contract without penalty? That's the real question.

Well, the SECOND replacement they sent seems to be working just fine. I'll be dropping off TWO VIP722's at UPS this week. We'll see what happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)