VIP722 Maximum External Hard Drive Size

not sure but what you could do is just buy a bigger internal hard drive and swap it out if you know anything about computers. The HDD inside the box is exactly like an internal SATA HDD...pop a bigger one in...keep the old one around in case the box goes back so you can swap it back before having the box changed.

That's a thought, but I'm sure DN would be able to tell, wouldn't they ? I'm sure they already have a file on me !
It has NOTHING to do with what's allowed, just technically supported. Many have reported using a 1T with no troubles. But with the cost of internal 500GB's nose-diving, two with one external enclosure would be cheaper and better in case one of them crashed and you would not lose ALL your recordings.

I use a Thermaltake dock with my external HDDs with my 722. It works fine. Just don't leave it on all the time since it relies on ambient air cooling for the docked drive. I turn mine off when I don't need it.

Not a good idea

not sure but what you could do is just buy a bigger internal hard drive and swap it out if you know anything about computers. The HDD inside the box is exactly like an internal SATA HDD...pop a bigger one in...keep the old one around in case the box goes back so you can swap it back before having the box changed.

E* has tables (partitions) set up for the internal HDD that will not see anything over the existing HDD. This is where they download on demand movies. Also unless he owns the unit instead of leasing you have just voided your contract and could be screwing yourself. Stay with ext HDD. The ext HDD's are limited to the 750 (or 1 TB unsupported) due to the fact that the 612, 622, & 722's can't address raid drives. Just doesn't have the s/w or hardware to work with anything other than single drives.

Is there a list of drives that are supported..."somewhere.

Or a list of those not supported ?

So it is possible to "daisychain"..........very cool.

E* has tables (partitions) set up for the internal HDD that will not see anything over the existing HDD. This is where they download on demand movies. Also unless he owns the unit instead of leasing you have just voided your contract and could be screwing yourself. Stay with ext HDD. The ext HDD's are limited to the 750 (or 1 TB unsupported) due to the fact that the 612, 622, & 722's can't address raid drives. Just doesn't have the s/w or hardware to work with anything other than single drives.
Not true...when my last 722 fried and they shipped me a new one I let the box do its download and activation I swapped out HDD from the fried box to the new box and everything has worked just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)