vip722 no audio via hdmi

chess

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
I've been using hdmi for video only for 2 years and optical for audio. I got a new lg lhb535 receiver with 2 hdmi and and plan to just use hdmi for video and audio. Only problem is I get video only. No audio at all. Other hdmi sources play audio and video just fine. I see lots of reported issues on the web of the 722 and hdmi issues. Any suggestions? I've tried new cables. Rebooting everything in different orders. Resetting the 722 to default and setting back up. No luck. :(

definitely not the tv. same issue straight to the tv. Plus the tv isn't even in play if directly to the receiver there is no sound either. Yeah, I know I could stick with the component and optical audio. That's not the point. I don't want to have to switch inputs all over the place. With the HDMI working from the dish I can do everythng from the receiver menu. Blu ray, internet, dish, game console etc. I just choose what I want and the tv video input always stays the same and the receiver just switch the audio to what I choose. No so much for me but for the simplicity for the rest of the family. Just trying to see if it's worth getting it replaced or if it's a know compatibility issue. I just had the receiver replaced 2 weeks ago because the other one completely died. This one is obviously a refurb and the hdmi port is bit looser fit on the connection that the other was.

I had a problem with my 211 connected to a small TV. I was getting a static like sound and the picture would jump. Thought the TV was going. Decided to try a different hdmi cable and the problem went away. Did you try a different casble to rule out a bad cable?

definitely not the tv. same issue straight to the tv. Plus the tv isn't even in play if directly to the receiver there is no sound either. Yeah, I know I could stick with the component and optical audio. That's not the point. I don't want to have to switch inputs all over the place. With the HDMI working from the dish I can do everythng from the receiver menu. Blu ray, internet, dish, game console etc. I just choose what I want and the tv video input always stays the same and the receiver just switch the audio to what I choose. No so much for me but for the simplicity for the rest of the family. Just trying to see if it's worth getting it replaced or if it's a know compatibility issue. I just had the receiver replaced 2 weeks ago because the other one completely died. This one is obviously a refurb and the hdmi port is bit looser fit on the connection that the other was.

Have you run the same input w/ another HDMI source to see if it gets audio? It may be that you need to go into menus of the lg & change something to get the audio. Also chk the menu of the 722 and see if it's seeing the lg as a valid output source. It could be an HDCP handshake issue w/ the unit. Ain't DRM lovely? :rant::rant::rant:

I had a problem with my 211 connected to a small TV. I was getting a static like sound and the picture would jump. Thought the TV was going. Decided to try a different hdmi cable and the problem went away. Did you try a different casble to rule out a bad cable?

see original post

Have you run the same input w/ another HDMI source to see if it gets audio? It may be that you need to go into menus of the lg & change something to get the audio. Also chk the menu of the 722 and see if it's seeing the lg as a valid output source. It could be an HDCP handshake issue w/ the unit. Ain't DRM lovely? :rant::rant::rant:

my original post mentioned other hdmi sources on the same input work just fine video and audio. The dish receiver thinks it's sending out audio according to diagnostics. I suspect a handshake issue or just bad port. I'd hate to spend money on shipping another replacement receiver if it's a handshake issue with the 722. Does the 922 have these issues? How much is it to upgrade?

What are your settings on Menu-6-7? Should be Dolby Digital/PCM anf RF Mode. Just a thought.

that's what it's set to. :( At this point I'm considering a component to hdmi converter for $50. Yes, simplicity is that important. I've had to explain steps to switch inputs to my family hundreds of times in the last few years. lol

see original post

my original post mentioned other hdmi sources on the same input work just fine video and audio. The dish receiver thinks it's sending out audio according to diagnostics. I suspect a handshake issue or just bad port. I'd hate to spend money on shipping another replacement receiver if it's a handshake issue with the 722. Does the 922 have these issues? How much is it to upgrade?

that's what it's set to. :( At this point I'm considering a component to hdmi converter for $50. Yes, simplicity is that important. I've had to explain steps to switch inputs to my family hundreds of times in the last few years. lol

I think you actually want it set to dolby digital/pcm and line mode not RF

I had that problem running HDMI through my Onkyo receiver and had to run audio with an optical cable until I figured out it was a setting in the Onkyo receiver.

Ed

I had that problem running HDMI through my Onkyo receiver and had to run audio with an optical cable until I figured out it was a setting in the Onkyo receiver.

Ed

In Yamaha's you have to set the correct type of signal for each digital input. So not surprised that Onkyo has to have the same thing done as well. So if I were the OP I would be looking at the receiving end set up.

In Yamaha's you have to set the correct type of signal for each digital input. So not surprised that Onkyo has to have the same thing done as well. So if I were the OP I would be looking at the receiving end set up.

Yep, I remember posting on here that I couldn't get audio thru my A/V receiver--changed cables, settings on the 722, etc. A number of guys said check the A/V settings. I had done that already several times.:rolleyes: Went through the settings AGAIN and bada-bing, bada boom---DD 5.1 from the 722 thru the A/V via HDMI.:up:)

Ed

I had a problem with no signal , called E* and also mentioned HDMI no video problem, CSR said it is a known issue with 722 and a fix is in the works.
I use component when handshake won't work with HDMI, I switch back to HDMI and it will sometimes get the handshake,sometimes disconnecting HDMI cable from TV works, it's hit and miss for sure. No problems with other equipment using HDMI.
Dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts