VIP722 remote access issues

vwyodapink

Original poster
May 24, 2009
california
Tried searching on here and google to see if anyone else had this issue and I am not finding any info on this.

I have a VIP722 receiver and I hooked up my internet to it yesterday everything on the receiver and my router says its connected but when I try and access the remote access feature it constantly says I am offline. The only thing I can find on the receivers end is that the secondary DNS is 0.0.0.0 . I would love to be able to use this new feature but I am not having any luck in getting it to work. Anyone have any ideas? I have tried resetting the router and receiver unplugged it removed smart card updated it and still end up with the same ending no secondary dns receiver and router says its connnected and online the remote access page off of myaccount area is showing I am offline.

Thanks for your help

Honestly I've never used a ViP receiver with an internet connection, but have you tried doing a "Send Status" from the diagnostics screen (Menu-6-3)? Perhaps your receiver just has not registered itself with dish as of yet.

I just tried that and same results. Other info that might be helpful is that the green light on the ethernet port is constantly on and the yellow one flickers. Is this what its suppose to be like? all the tests and call outs say succesful and and that the receiver is online.

Yup and says its connected there the only thing that stands out is that there is no secondary DNS. But its showing as connected on that screen testing the connections and doing a call out test.

Most people with routers will only show one DNS server, since the routers nowadays like to pretend to be the DNS server and get the DNS requests for your network devices and forward them on.

Yeah didnt think that would be the problem but thought I would list it so everyone has as much info as possible. I have no clue and dish says its my internet provider. I know its not cause I can use the dishonline feature with no problems at all and I can see the receiver accessing my router. But for some reason trying to set remote access up on my comp its starts to access the router for a few seconds then stops and dish says I am still offline.

I'm no expert, but in my experience if you get this logon screen, it won't work. The web address is http://dish.sling.com

sling.JPG

You have to go through dishnetwork.com then log on to your account, then click the link within the notice that says, "NOW AVAILABLE! DISH Remote access. Click here to access the feature." That link takes you to a web address of dish5.sling.com.

clickheretoaccess1.JPG

Then you should be able to set it up. Once it is set-up, when you go back to the aforementioned link, you'll see something like this:

loggingon1.JPG

Then, something like this (depending on your preferences):

slingguide.JPG

I've noted that if you go to the first (incorrect) logon without the "5" in the address, and then you try going through dishnetwork.com, and click the link, for some reason, even dishnetwork.com will send you to the wrong page (dish.sling.com). Either restarting the browser or clearing the cache usually gets you out of that loop.

So, in a nutshell, the address, dish.sling.com does not work for me. It always asks for my R00 number and then, after a good wait, tells me I'm not connected. If I go through my account logon on dishnetwork.com's site, I'm directed appropriately to a working logon page. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
ADDENDUM:

I just discovered this on the FAQ:

Apparently "dish.sling.com" is for "partner-only" customers (i.e. those who subscribe through their phone company).

The correct address for customer's who subscribe directly through DISH Network need to use "dish5.sling.com"

However, I've tried multiple times to enter "dish5.sling.com" in my browser's address bar and it is immediately changed to "dish.sling.com" thereby taking me to the wrong logon page. The only way I can make it take me to the correct page is to go through dishnetwork.com's site as mentioned previously.

+1 on this issue for me... i've talked to Dish support and they said they are tracking some issues with Remote Access and to call back in 24 hours if it hasn't started working.

I had trouble with Safari 4 beta on my Mac. Camino finally me in and Firefox beta seemed to work even better. After getting it to work then Safari would work, perhaps just needed Firefox/Camino for initial login.
-Ken

+1 on this issue for me... i've talked to Dish support and they said they are tracking some issues with Remote Access and to call back in 24 hours if it hasn't started working.

Same here. Got in touch, via chat, with a fantastic CSR who wouldn't let it go. We confirmed that my DVR was active and online, even though the remote access account page says that it isn't. I too have been able to use Dish Online and download content. I did a a packet capture on the router and can see the communications between the DVR and dishnetwork.tv .

What I didn't realize is that there are several entry points (on the account page) into dish.sling.com, ie., dish1.sling, dish2.sling .. dish8.sling and dish9.sling (9 doesn't work, but is reserved).

So what if the dish[1..9] are geographically located to distribute the server load, and your account is tied to the geographical server. Notice that no matter which entry point you type in, it always resolves to dish.sling.com.

Second theory, if your ISP (like mine) is satellite, my IP resolves to Baltimore, MD even though I live in TN which might cause an account -- DVR server login mismatch???:confused: That way it never sees the DVR as being online because the DVR is logging into one server and the account is looking at another. I would have set these up as redundant servers, but who knows how they are set up.

Hey, I'm just guessing.:)

Anyway, the CSR has passed it on to the technical team on remote access and is following up with me via email until it is fixed.

I am having the same issue... my 622 says that I am connected, but when I log onto the access website, it says that I am not connected...

I have wildbule satellite internet through dish, so I wonder if that is the problem.

Update: Today 6/5/09
Today I am told that the Remote Access feature is not supported with Satellite Internet. It may be supported in the future.