VIP722 shuts down without any reason - Need some suggestions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Benoone

Original poster
Aug 6, 2009
Caymans
I have a "owned" VIP722 about four years old. It's in the bedroom and just gets used occasionally. It will work fine for a day or days and if not used, it just shuts down. It's really off because the DVR stops working and there are no LEDs on front panel. To restart it I have to press the power button for 7 seconds, the fan starts up and then it comes alive and stays alive as long as I use it daily.

Firmware is L813rj2bn, in menu option #4, Updates are 3 AM and inactivity is set for 8 hours (and setting it to disabled did not help) I have it connected to the ethernet LAN and a HDMI TV. Test switch shows 119, 118, 110 and 129 all in the green. No OTA connected.

I don't think it is fixable and this post is my last resort before I replace it.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions you may have.

Glenn.

Good Morning,

We are sorry to hear that you are having technical issues and would be more than happy to assist you today! May I ask if you have tried to reset the receiver from the power outlet for 10-15 seconds? Also, if the receiver is plugged into a surge protector, please plug directly to the wall outlet to see if the issue persists.

Do you have a DPP44 switch? I ask because I had all kinds of crazy/stupid stuff happening (just like you're describing) with our 722 a while back. Dish swapped the receiver twice (and I paid for the shipping) only to realize that it was a bad power adapter to the DPP44 switch. ..wished I had known that before I sent the DVR back with all my saved recordings!! I was getting "all OK" from the tests also. ...just a suggestion. Good luck.

How's the ventilation in that room. Is it unusually warm in the Caribbean?

@lailaS - It's been disconnected from AC many times over the last few months with no change in behavior, same as pressing the power button to reboot it. No surge device connected.

tedb3rd - Yes, currently on a DP44 but three weeks ago I took it over to my neighbors and connected it to his 1000.2 dish for a few days and the same thing happened so I don't believe it's the LNB setup. I also have a 211k and another 722 on the same DP44 with no problems.

Tampa8 - Currently in the air conditioned bedroom with all bottom, side and top vents open plus I glued a small computer fan on the side thinking it might be running hot. Just measured the temp and it ranges from 80 to 89F, BTW, it is alive at the moment and there is no green LED on.

The temps on my other 722 are 101F on the left side grill, 98F on the top middle and 87 on the right side grille. That one is recording right now.

Other than the erratic shutdown, it works perfectly..

Thanks

Glenn

Last edited:
Reactions: Tampa8
You seem to have it covered pretty well, it may just need to be replaced as you were not hoping for....

Reactions: ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)