ViP722 to Hopper 3 - Antenna Change

mickey53usa

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
I hope someone can answers some questions that Dish does not seem to want to give me an answer on.

Currently have a ViP722 and a 211K (?)- being fed by a Dish 500 antenna. There is a separate RG6 from the Dish to each receiver.

In moving to the Hopper 3 to replace the ViP722, they need to install a new antenna. What Dish will not give me an answer on is 1) can the current Dish Mount be used (Bolted on to the roof with no trees or shrubs in any direction for 100+ feet). 2) can the existing RG6 run to both the 211 and the ViP722 be used? 3) does the Hopper 3 have the "channel 62" feature like the ViP722 does where you can feed another TV off the receiver (same channel viewed on each TV). If I could get a good answer to those questions I will probably make the move.
Thanks

The Hopper does not have the second TV output ("channel 62" feature as you put it) like you have with the 722. The Hopper uses boxes that are called "Joeys" at the additional TV locations to feed those locations. All of the Joeys get their signal from the Hopper, have access to all of the Hopper Tuners, and access to the single repository of recordings on the Hopper. So essentially, you would get a Hopper 3 at your main viewing location (likely where your 722 is located now), then you would need a Joey at each of your other TV locations, such as your 211 location and your 722's TV2 location.

I hope someone can answers some questions that Dish does not seem to want to give me an answer on.

Currently have a ViP722 and a 211K (?)- being fed by a Dish 500 antenna. There is a separate RG6 from the Dish to each receiver.

In moving to the Hopper 3 to replace the ViP722, they need to install a new antenna. What Dish will not give me an answer on is 1) can the current Dish Mount be used (Bolted on to the roof with no trees or shrubs in any direction for 100+ feet). 2) can the existing RG6 run to both the 211 and the ViP722 be used? 3) does the Hopper 3 have the "channel 62" feature like the ViP722 does where you can feed another TV off the receiver (same channel viewed on each TV). If I could get a good answer to those questions I will probably make the move.
Thanks
Which arc are you on? You should be using a 1000.2 or 1000.4 dish depending on the arc.

They should be able to use the existing mount.
The run to the Hopper requires a better RG6 cable than the 722 did, so your existing cable may or may not be good enough. They won't know for sure till they try it.

Voyager6 - Western Arc -
Joegr - Thanks - Don't like the thought of crawling through the attic again to put new coax in place
DWS44 - Good to know - Just plan on the Hopper and the 211K, which may get replaced with something else as it travels in the RV when needed.
Another ?? Can I dump existing recordings on the 722 to EHD and then reload to the Hopper 3 for viewing?

Voyager6 - Western Arc -
Joegr - Thanks - Don't like the thought of crawling through the attic again to put new coax in place
DWS44 - Good to know - Just plan on the Hopper and the 211K, which may get replaced with something else as it travels in the RV when needed.
Another ?? Can I dump existing recordings on the 722 to EHD and then reload to the Hopper 3 for viewing?
I moved my EHD from a 722 to a Hopper 1, and then to a Hopper 3 just fine. You can load yoiur recordings on the Hopper 3 or just leave them on the EHD and view them from there. Viewing from the EHD works well unless you want to view anything on the EHD from DishAnywhere. The EHD viewing is not available from the H3 to DA.

My Hopper 3 is working just fine on an RG6 that I installed in 1987. I think you'll be good to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)